Poor kitchen drain design

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellary Kahan

Reaction score
A few years ago, I redid my kitchen. I moved the sink to gain more usable counter space between it and the range. The sink is on an exterior wall, while the range and sewer stack are on the perpendicular interior wall. Moving the sink put it farther from the interior wall, thus reducing the pitch of the pipes on both walls. The plumber told me that this was perfectly fine. Prior to this move, I never had a drain clog. I used the garbage disposal for just about everything. We also replaced the faucet with a 1.1 gpm faucet. The prior faucet was 2.2 gpm. About a year later, the drain did clog and I could not clear it with my 1/4 inch snake. The plumber who did clear it recommended using BioOne monthly to keep it clear, which I did. I also put the 2.2 gpm faucet back. My wife was afraid to use the garbage disposal at all. Consumer Reports recommended not putting chicken bones, coffee grounds, egg shells, vegetable peelings, seeds, and tea leaves down the disposal so we stopped doing that. Thirty-two months later (last week) the drain partially clogged and I was able to clear it with my snake.
The bottom line is we are afraid to use the disposal at all.
Is there anything else we can do to keep the line clear beside monthy applications of BioOne?

Consumer reports is correct, the only thing that should go down the sink drain is table scraps, no rice,starches,peel,bones and so on all that stuff may make it past the disposal,but it will just sit in the drain

Thanks. I was aware of all that. Is there anything I can do besides the BioOne to keep the drain clear?

Back