Replacing PVC Water Valves At The Fixtures

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlaineBug

Reaction score
Recently we purchased a home in Florida built in 2004 which is plumbed entirely with PVC. Being from the midwest I'm accustomed to mostly copper plumbing in which fittings are soldered together or if you're in a pinch of lazy you use a compression fitting (all of the at-fixture valves in our current 1973 home are compression fittings for ease of replacement I suppose.)

I'm not accustomed to working with PVC very much but all of the valves in the home are of this style which appears to be a push-pull type fitting with an integrated supply hose that cannot be replaced. Ideally I'd like to replace every single one of those circa-2004 push pull valves. However, once cut off, what does one replace them with? I saw a video online in regards to someone "gluing" a brand new chrome valve to PVC pipe. How does that work? I was under the impression that PVC glue actually melted the pipe causing a bond to other melted pipe or fittings, how does that work with a metal valve?

This picture isn't from the home but appears to be the same valve or very similar at least to what is found all throughout our 2004 Florida home;

j4zdsqf60zo21.jpg

That’s CPVC and you can solvent weld it with cpvc solvent or you can use a push-fit type valve.

Brasscraft makes a valve that comes with the solvent weld adapter for your purpose.

Google : Brasscraft 1/2” x 3/8” angle stop for cpvc

This link has a video in it that shows you how to solvent weld stop valves onto your pipe.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...-Multi-Turn-Straight-Valve-PR14X-C1/202047069
It’s a Home Depot link. Drop down to the pics of the valve and scroll to the right to watch the video.

That’s CPVC and you can solvent weld it with cpvc solvent or you can use a push-fit type valve.

Brasscraft makes a valve that comes with the solvent weld adapter for your purpose.

Google : Brasscraft 1/2” x 3/8” angle stop for cpvc

The picture in question is not from our Florida house but looks similar. I'd definitely not want to use a Sharkbite type fitting ever.

The picture in question is not from our Florida house but looks similar. I'd definitely not want to use a Sharkbite type fitting ever.
Ok……

Pvc water pipe isn’t allowed inside homes. The valves you’re describing will not connect to pvc. It’s most likely CPVC like in the pic, so I directed you toward solvent welding cpvc fixture stops. They make straight and and angle valves. Typically they are 1/2” cpvc inlet x 3/8” compression outlet but they make several other size outlets.

Ok……

Pvc water pipe isn’t allowed inside homes. The valves you’re describing will not connect to pvc. It’s most likely CPVC like in the pic, so I directed you toward solvent welding cpvc fixture stops. They make straight and and angle valves. Typically they are 1/2” cpvc inlet x 3/8” compression outlet but they make several other size outlets.

Solvent welding would be the name of the game in my opinion, just like the remainder of hidden fittings in the walls of this home.

Also here's another question. The home had new granite installed some time ago. Under the kitchen island it appears that at one time the kitchen island had a prep sink installed but that was removed with the new granite. Those similar push/pull type valves and supply lines are left bare in the cabinetry, just waiting to spring a leak! I'd like to remove them entirely. Would gluing on some caps to the CPVC and eliminating valves entirely be the best course of action in this particular scenario? There's another issue too, capping off the drain line under the cabinets there as well. They just used duct-tape to accomplish that action. Far from ideal!

Last edited:
Ideally cap them at the source. If you can find the source easily then cap them with solvent weld caps as they are.

Ideally cap them at the source. If you can find the source easily then cap them with solvent weld caps as they are.

The best place to do that would be in the cabinets under the island for two reasons I believe. 1) Dishwasher still needs a water source under the island and 2) I believe the CPV may run through the concrete slab of the home from below the cabinetry.

On another note I was not aware that the metallic valve adapters had CPVC within them. Now it makes more sense to me what he was actually gluing in that video.

14197766.jpg

Back