Rain Sensor for Wethermatic Lawn Mate 12 controller

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gpag

Reaction score
I want to connect a rain sensor to an older Weathermatic irrigation controller. For the type of sensor needed, the manual says that any sensor that “closes a non-powered switch or non-powered relay contacts” is required.
I’ve looked at Rainbird, Hunter and other sensors but I don’t see anything in their descriptions indicating they are non-powered.
Can I get suggestions on which sensors would work?
Thanks
IMG_1321.jpeg

Can't answer because we use modern controllers. My suggestion to all: Bhyve by Orbit connects to wifi and internet weather. It interprets and is even predictive if rain is expected, it will hold off.

I want to connect a rain sensor to an older Weathermatic irrigation controller. For the type of sensor needed, the manual says that any sensor that “closes a non-powered switch or non-powered relay contacts” is required.
I’ve looked at Rainbird, Hunter and other sensors but I don’t see anything in their descriptions indicating they are non-powered.
Can I get suggestions on which sensors would work?
Thanks
Most of the "clip on/in the gutter" style rain sensors are merely unpowered float switches, or in some cases moisture detectors. I guess what you need is a float switch. Some of the moisture detectors will require power but you just need a switch. I've had these float switches and nothing but trouble. The sun breaks down the plastic, they get damaged in the winter from snow and ice (unless you remove them every fall) and just don't last. A real PIA.

But, really--you should consider upgrading to a modern internet based controller. Not only do they eliminate the need for such troublesome appendages such as remote sensors, they adjust your schedule based on weather data, location climate, type of grass and soil, and season. In many cases, like where I am here in the Charlotte area, I get a significant discount on irrigation water with such a smart controller. I have a Rachio but there are other brands out there. The Rachio has often been on sale at Costco.

https://rachio.com/

I too have a Rachio irrigation system, and they use local weather stations for data readings, so no additional wires or sensors are needed. I also love the fact that I can water my yard from anywhere in the world from the app on my phone. I'm really sold on the versatility of these controllers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to look into a wireless controller. It may make a lot of sense, especially since I’m having a lot of work done on the lawn and flower beds.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to look into a wireless controller. It may make a lot of sense, especially since I’m having a lot of work done on the lawn and flower beds.
Oh, one more thing since you mentioned "wireless controller" when I think you meant smart controller.

Some irrigation controllers, semi smart as it were, utilize powered rain sensors that connect wirelessly by bluetooth to the irrigation controller. Those are WORSE than the wired dumb float switches. They have all the drawbacks of the dumb switches but now must have batteries inside that don't last but a season, and they seemingly lose connection to the controller often. My client had one of those and we just gave up on using it. A double royal PIA. Maybe good when brand new out of the box, but robust it isn't.

The Rachio is plugged into 120v, but has a lithium battery back up. When power is disrupted, it will connect via wi-fi when power is restored. I've had mine for about 3 years, and not one hiccup yet.

Back