Pump controllers HP rating

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telkwa

Reaction score
I don't know whether motor starter or pump controller is the right term -

Should you always match a 1 HP pump with a 1 HP motor starter? Is there any point in using a motor starter that's rated higher HP than the pump?

Never mind. Apparently motor starter HP should be matched to pump HP.

Running capacitor and start capacitor are larger, meaning higher voltage to the start and run windings. Also the overload is for higher amperage and would be slow or maybe not trip at all. I use a larger control box to try and start a stuck pump or to test with if it is all I have. But I would switch it back to the right size as soon as possible.

Running capacitor and start capacitor are larger, meaning higher voltage to the start and run windings. Also the overload is for higher amperage and would be slow or maybe not trip at all. I use a larger control box to try and start a stuck pump or to test with if it is all I have. But I would switch it back to the right size as soon as possible.
The 2hp box with a date code of J76 got replaced by a 3hp unit during the onset of covid by a friend who owns a pump company. He most likely did that due to supply issues, but said it was because it will last longer than a 2hp box.

If I replace it with a 2hp box myself, it will cause issues when he comes back to service the pump, which I suspect is also of 1976 vintage.

I’m very surprised the pump has lasted this long, as the use is very high(2-10k gallons a day. The 86 gallon tank helps, but it still cycles a lot. Furthermore the motor/pump only runs 36 seconds with no water use. I know a minute is best. Those old pumps/motors are impressive.

The box maybe 1976 but I doubt the pump/motor is. Very unlikely for a pump to cycle 36 seconds and being used that much to last very long at all. One minute run time is minimum needed to dissipate the heat from starting, two minutes is better, and running continuously for as long as water is being used is best. If it really is a 1976 motor you should plan a trip to Vegas while you are still hot. Lol!

The box maybe 1976 but I doubt the pump/motor is. Very unlikely for a pump to cycle 36 seconds and being used that much to last very long at all. One minute run time is minimum needed to dissipate the heat from starting, two minutes is better, and running continuously for as long as water is being used is best. If it really is a 1976 motor you should plan a trip to Vegas while you are still hot. Lol!
I should have clarified. The 36 seconds is with no water use. When water is being used, its 1+ minutes. When irrigating/watering cows, the pump runs continuously.

The previous owner was cheap, so it’s very unlikely the pump or motor was replaced. The 1976 box had capacitors and a contactor that weren’t oem.

I should have clarified. The 36 seconds is with no water use. When water is being used, its 1+ minutes. When irrigating/watering cows, the pump runs continuously.

The previous owner was cheap, so it’s very unlikely the pump or motor was replaced. The 1976 box had capacitors and a contactor that weren’t oem.
It should be at least 60 seconds even when no water is being used. When water is being used, it depends on how much water is on as to how often the pump will cycle on and off. Only if you irrigate and water the cows with a wide open hose that keeps the pressure below the cut off point will the pump not cycle on and off. Irrigating with hoses and watering cows with floats in the troughs will cause lots of cycling. If it is a 76 pump, as you said they sure don't make them like that anymore.

Latest posts

Back