Please help identify this

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Silveira

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster, please be gentle :)

In the below pic, the water shut off is circled in red. The blue arrow pointing up on the straight pipe is where I am assuming water is coming into the house.

That bent pipe on the left, is that what is feeding the sprinkler controls (to the right of this picture)? Yellow Circle, there was a shut off valve here, it was brittle and broke off and we think it's in the closed position since the sprinklers are no longer working.

my questions is, if the above is all correct, then the shut off wont turn off water to the sprinkle since the shut off is above where the pipe feeds off the main.

So if we wanted to cut around the broken handle and patch in some pvc with a new shut off, we would need to curb side, shut the water off to the entire property?

thanks for any insight you might have!

pipe.jpg

First, welcome to the forum.

I'm going to guess that your theory is correct. I have a very similar set up, but my shut off valve can shut off all incoming water, and how yours should have been piped. You want to have the ability to shut off all incoming water, and you also want to have the ability to shut off your sprinklers so you can still flush the toilet. I would only recommend cutting out all those horrible gate valves, and replace them with a good ball valve in the future.

thank you so much for the response and the warm welcome. i'd hate to turn off the main, cut into that pipe only to still find water pressure in there :)

and you are right, if i am going to shut off the water curb side, i might as well tackle that gate valve at the same time as i'm tackling that left hand missing valve :)

and if anyone else wants to give me the warm and fuzzies and say that the theory looks good, i'm all ears! i want to be as sure as i can be before i go cutting some water lines :)

Open your spigot, shut down the main, and the water will not flow (once house depressurizes). This is how you test your theory.

yes but what i am cutting into is where the yellow circle is, there was a valve there.

so if i shut the main, it will kill the open spigot but the water would still be fed into the sprinkler line since the feed is before the main valve. so thats the concern, even with the main off, the water looks like it would still be pressurized to the sprinkler line and i don't want to cut into that :)

but i think were on the same page and i very much appreciate the advice, thank you sir!

You can also open up a sprinkler valve to see if it is under pressure currently. Are they controlled by an electric solenoid or manually operated?

For reference, here is my set up. All my sprinkler valves are to the right, as indicated where the red ball valve runs.20240531_084015.jpg

You can also open up a sprinkler valve to see if it is under pressure currently. Are they controlled by an electric solenoid or manually operated?
Yeah, the valves are not under pressure. that brittle handle that broke off in the yellow circle, we believe it broke off in the closed position, so, no water to the sprinklers.

thanks again man, i think i'm on the right track :)

Back