New Home Presenting Well Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Schaub

Reaction score
Recently purchased a home in Ohio built in 1977. Home was left empty for several years, so all plumbing and fixtures have been removed with the exception of the pressure tank which seems semi-new. I have a garden hose attached to pressure tank. The well has a submersible pump. The well has a line that T's off between the house and barn. The previous owner said he replaced the submersible pump 3 years ago. There is a 6-12" depression around the well head. I put 3 gallons of bleach and gallon of vinegar down the well head and then cycled the water through via the garden hose. To my surprise, the well head seemed to fill up with water after 10-15 minutes. I am not sure on the well depth, wells in the area average 100'. My current concern is losing water pressure. The garden hose will run at approx 7GPM for 15 minutes, but then rapidly lose pressure. Does this seem like a well issue, water line issue or pressure tank issue? It happens at both the barn and house, so I believe that rules out the pressure tank. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Yeah, sounds like you are pumping the well dry. But 7 GPM for 15 minutes is 105 gallons of water. The question is, if you then turn off the well for 30 minutes, how long will it run and at what flow rate when you turn it back on? Recovery rate as it is called will tell you how much water the well will really make. Could be that it will make 3 or 5 GPM forever, or only pump say 60 gallons an hour. 60 gallons per hour is still 1440 gallons per day. But you may need a cistern to store water if it doesn't make at least 3-5 GPM.

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Back