Location of Water Heater with PEX

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkericharda

Reaction score
I'm switching much of the plumbing in my house over to PEX. The water heater is currently on an outside wall, somewhat central in the house. Everything is currently copper 1/2". Does PEX retain heat better than copper? Meaning, if I were to move the water heater closer to the other water stuffs (main in, water softener, etc.), which would be further away from the majority of my fixtures, would that mean that it will take longer for the hot water to get to the fixtures based on distance traveled or does PEX retain the water hot longer in the tube and thus, not making a difference if I move the water heater? (Why do I want to move it - well, it's just kind of in the way is all.)

I've read where pex does retain the heat better than copper but I believe you should have your water heater as close as possible to the fixtures. If you want to move it you will need to put in a return line from the fixtures to the water heater. Let us know what you do.

I had never used pex until part of my house froze wel
I split up the floors because I know can isolate basement
hot and cold and 1st fl hot and cold/and old feed to my boiler
some guys go even further by split I g up by fixture and yes I
get hot water quicker all my basement mains are in an insulated/sheet rocked
ceiling

what style of pex are you using....that's another debate......

Last edited:
Back