Is this normal?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgar3030

Reaction score
I have a 3-month old Rheem Performance 40 gal. gas hot water heater. I needed to check the anode due to air in my lines. To my surprise, it looked very deteriorated. Is this normal for them to deteriorate this quick? I'm on city water.20240622_122535.jpg

No, this is not normal. I'd recommend showing this to your city water department, who will recommend another type of anode which should work better for your water.

Not normal, maybe an indicator such that heeding havasu's advice is warranted.
I pulled the anode on one of mine after 3 years and it did have white growth like yours but it still had full diameter (which surprised me).
But, wow, you might need a plug-in powered model. Ask on Nextdoor for your area.

Anode rods typically come in three varieties, made up of three different types of metals: magnesium, aluminum, and zinc. The magnesium anode rod is the most common type of anode rod. The magnesium rods are best used in areas with soft water as they corrode easily.

What rod did you have, and which rod would work better for your water quality, is why I recommended to get the water company involved.

Anode rods typically come in three varieties, made up of three different types of metals: magnesium, aluminum, and zinc. The magnesium anode rod is the most common type of anode rod. The magnesium rods are best used in areas with soft water as they corrode easily.

What rod did you have, and which rod would work better for your water quality, is why I recommended to get the water company involved.
First, thank you for your response and advice but what if anything will the city water dept do? I did contact Rheem and they just sent me a replacement (magnesium) at no charge. I'm guess I shouldn't expect a differentoutcome. I'm assuming the new one will deteriorate just as quick as the original, correct?

No, depending on your water quality, the city should be able to let you know which anode would work best in your area. Once this information is known, some water heaters will either ship the suitable anode, or let you know where to get the new anode. Whether the water heater company covers this cost will depend on the manufacturer, but they are not that expensive.

Our boats also have a sacrificial anode, which must be matched to the water we normally place our boats in to.

Aluminum anodes are available for both recreational and commercial applications. Magnesium anodes are the most active and are the only anodes that work well in the low conductivity of fresh water. Magnesium is also relatively non-toxic to aquatic life.

Latest posts

Back