PVC valves hard to close

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobCmh

Reaction score
I have valves similar to the photo I've attached here.
I'm having trouble getting them all the way shut.
I get them most of the way but not entirely closed.
Any tips that might help? Thanks BV-200FS-PVC.jpg

Gawd, I hate those things. I have 3 in my pool/waterfall pumps, and I think they all have at least one ear broken off. I'd recommend cutting them off and replacing with either a 1/4 turn metal ball valve, or if they are the larger diameter, replacing with a Jandy valve.
I wonder if a drop of oil would help?

Glad this was bought up now before I finish my irrigation system. If these PVC shut off valve are junk, then what should I use for an artesian well that goes to an irrigation pump? I noticed the primary one is an old solid bronze Milwaukee shut off valve. Can I simply another bronze shut off valve in between new PVC work I'm doing? (It's 1 1/4 and then 2 inch). I want to add another shut off valve above ground. I can add it to either 1 1/4, 1.5 (it will have to go to 1.5 for the sand filter) and then 2inch inlet for pump). Any suggestions?

I suppose I can use one of these. 40 bucks but I guess worth it as plastic does break and I do find that the PVC shut offs in this post are hard to open and close.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/RELIABILT-1-1-2-in-Fip-x-1-1-2-in-Fip-Ball-Valve/5014537029

Last edited:
Yes, you could/should!
Okay thanks, yeah an interesting dilemma to me though. If you recall, I was just posting a while back about how all the metal valves usually have a flaw to me. They usually have handles that corrode very badly where I am at. The 150 dollar solid bronze Milwaukee valve that is the primary shut off valve is one such example. And all of the ball valve handles are also either regular steel or they don't use stainless steel packing nuts that hold the handle. So let me ask this: For the PVC shut off valves, they are not all equal, correct? There are cheap imported ones in big box stores. Then there are USA made irrigation/farming made ones like by Spears. They seem well made to me. Why I might go with a Spears one like this is because they are lighter and put less stress on the surrounding PVC pipes. I might be overthinking stuff as usual. But these Spears ones definitely feel a lot better in the hands than the cheap imported ones. https://www.dripworks.com/spears-ball-valve

I have a new one in my garage and it feels totally different to me than the cheap ones with the red handle.

Spears PVC Utility Ball Valve Features​

• PVC or CPVC construction never rust, scale or pit, providing exceptional chemical and corrosion resistance.
  • Spears PTFE floating seat design reduces seat wear for extended valve life, smooth operation, and bubble-tight shut-off. 100% factory tested.
  • High grade abrasion resistant EPDM elastomer o-rings for optimum chemical resistance.
  • High impact Polypropylene handle features double stop enhagement and exhibits an excellent resistance to most chemical environments.
  • Full Schedule 80 Bore virtually eliminates pressure drop, providing optimum flow.
  • Equipped with Spears high strength Safe-T-Shear stem developed to help prevent line fluids from leaving out in the event of ball valve stem damage. Engineered for high strength, the stem encorporates a special shear point to contrl accidental breakage. Over torquing breaks occur above the stem o-ring leaving the seal intact until replacement can be made.
  • Pressure rates to 150 PSI for water at 73°F.
  • Certified for potable water use by NSF International.

Last edited:
If the valve is exposed to sunlight, it seems the sun degrades these valves pretty quick. With this in mind, when I layed out my sprinkler system at my vacation home in Lake Havasu, where temps can reach 128. I used two of those PVC valves, but buried them underground and placed them into an irrigation box, and it doubled the life of them, and after 10 years, the valves need replacement. About the same time, I installed a new PEX water service and added a brass shut off valve, and this valve is opened when we get there, and closed when we leave. This valve works flawlessly.

So, there are variables where a PVC valve may work for you, but if it is in direct sunlight, I would think twice.

Latest posts

Back