Installing an outdoor shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, believe it or not, I used the very sticky gap filler spray foam inside the first 1' of the upright, then filled the outer 5" x 5" posts with 100 pounds of 3/4" gravel. They are rock solid now. This locked in the cross pieces, and glued it to the ground. In case the inspectors come by and say it is a permanent structure, I can prove otherwise.

Well, believe it or not, I used the very sticky gap filler spray foam inside the first 1' of the upright, then filled the outer 5" x 5" posts with 100 pounds of 3/4" gravel. They are rock solid now. This locked in the cross pieces, and glued it to the ground. In case the inspectors come by and say it is a permanent structure, I can prove otherwise.
And why wouldn't you want it To be classified as a permanent structure ?

Yeah, city code says anything larger than 10x12 needs a permit. I also had a hell of a time finding a Simpson base plate for a 5" x 5" post. They had 4" x 4", and they had 6" x 6", but none for a 5" x 5". With all that frustration, I chose to save a few $ and simply glue it to the ground.

Yeah, city code says anything larger than 10x12 needs a permit. I also had a hell of a time finding a Simpson base plate for a 5" x 5" post. They had 4" x 4", and they had 6" x 6", but none for a 5" x 5". With all that frustration, I chose to save a few $ and simply glue it to the ground.
You definitely needed a plumbing permit.

So, to expand this question... If I extend an outdoor cold water spigot, no permit would be needed, right?

If I extended a hot water pipe under the cabinet to receive a dishwasher, this too would not need to be permitted, right?

My thought was if I as a homeowner and wanted to tee off the cold and hot water lines, including a shut off ball valve, I would need a permit?

In Kalifornia, many permits are only necessary if a contractor is hired to do major construction. But if a homeowner installs a water heater, no permit is necessary, since you are just replacing "like for like" items.

I guess this is where things get foggy.

They just don't make some things... or they need to be special ordered.
I rebuilt my back deck, changed out 4x4 with 4x6. I wanted to put fancy caps on them. You think I could find any... had to buy the treated wood and mill and shape to make my own.

Well, it has been 2 months since I installed this shower, and I wish I would have built it years ago. I have used my inside shower just twice, to keep the trap wet. I absolutely love it, as do all my grandkids after getting out of the pool.
20240506_152647.jpg

Well, it has been 2 months since I installed this shower, and I wish I would have built it years ago. I have used my inside shower just twice, to keep the trap wet. I absolutely love it, as do all my grandkids after getting out of the pool.
View attachment 45908
I like it too. I use it when you’re not home. 😐

Back