Installed new gas water heater... Now Shower Temp. Fluctuations?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coleman

Reaction score
Hello,
New member here. Look forward to participating! Question:
I just installed a new Rheem 50 gal gas water heater in my basement. Replaced my 20 year old Bradford White.
Same exact size and dimensions, so was a easy installation. Only difference was I used flexible Shark connectors on the hot/cold water inlet/outlet. Now... my upstairs shower has slight temperature fluctuations as I take a shower. It never did this before with the Bradford White... so I assume it has to be the new Rheem? Am I missing something here? Thanks!

something is wrong. Need to put temp gauge on hot outlet and take readings during flow.

Hello,
New member here. Look forward to participating! Question:
I just installed a new Rheem 50 gal gas water heater in my basement. Replaced my 20 year old Bradford White.
Same exact size and dimensions, so was a easy installation. Only difference was I used flexible Shark connectors on the hot/cold water inlet/outlet. Now... my upstairs shower has slight temperature fluctuations as I take a shower. It never did this before with the Bradford White... so I assume it has to be the new Rheem? Am I missing something here? Thanks!
Use a different shower and see if the problem follows.

something is wrong. Need to put temp gauge on hot outlet and take readings during flow.
Not sure where to "put Temp gauge on hot outlet" ? Do you mean on the hot water pipe exiting the water heater or actually measure the hot water temp. exiting the shower? Thanks

I do have another shower on the same floor as the problem shower... I will try this. Thanks!
Took a shower on the same floor but another bathroom and had the same fluctuation is water temp.
Any ideas what my problem might be?? Thanks

Turn the cold water off to the water heater and go to the kitchen and make sure water doesn’t flow from the hot side. You should be able to relieve the pressure and the water stop. If it doesn’t stop then that’s a problem.

Turn the cold water off to the water heater and go to the kitchen and make sure water doesn’t flow from the hot side. You should be able to relieve the pressure and the water stop. If it doesn’t stop then that’s a problem.
Thanks for the reply... I followed your instruction exactly. Turned off the incoming Cold water valve at the Water heater. All Hot water from the kitchen faucet stopped 100% once the water heater pressure was released... so I assume this is not my problem. Now where do I look? Thanks again!

The dip tube may be compromised in the cold side inlet of the water heater.

The dip tube may be compromised in the cold side inlet of the water heater.
Interesting... I never thought this was a consideration on a very new Water Heater. Are Rheem water heater Dip Tubes defective often?... This specific water heater has a Mfg Date of 2022 and was installed new in a house for only 6 months then replaced because the new homeowners wanted a tankless water heater. The Rheem sat dry and unused for 2 years before I installed it in my house.... Maybe this caused a problem? Thanks again for the idea Twowax!

Interesting... I never thought this was a consideration on a very new Water Heater. Are Rheem water heater Dip Tubes defective often?... This specific water heater has a Mfg Date of 2022 and was installed new in a house for only 6 months then replaced because the new homeowners wanted a tankless water heater. The Rheem sat dry and unused for 2 years before I installed it in my house.... Maybe this caused a problem? Thanks again for the idea Twowax!
It’s not common anymore, there was a period of time babk in the early 90’s where just about all manufacturers had defective diptube.

But since your unit was used, there’s no telling…..

It’s not common anymore, there was a period of time babk in the early 90’s where just about all manufacturers had defective diptube.

But since your unit was used, there’s no telling…..
I'm going to check it out... (beats watching the Olympics on TV ;o) ) If the tube looks good... any other "Plan B" ideas? Thanks

I'm going to check it out... (beats watching the Olympics on TV ;o) ) If the tube looks good... any other "Plan B" ideas? Thanks
No ideas right now with current info. Do you have any mixing valves between the heater and the showers ?

I learned that a male was allowed to box women……..so I’m boycotting the rest of the Olympics. I’m not into being lied to and I’m not into watching men beat on women.

Yup... The World is a strange place... but then again... It is in France. The Crossdressing/Gender mocking of the Last Supper is what put it WAY over the edge for me. The world is a moral mess for sure.
Nope... no mix valves.. just straight shots to the showers two stories up. Is it possible the Dip Tube became detached and lying on the bottom of the tank during the installations/uninstallation ?

No ideas right now with current info. Do you have any mixing valves between the heater and the showers ?

I learned that a male was allowed to box women……..so I’m boycotting the rest of the Olympics. I’m not into being lied to and I’m not into watching men beat on women.
Dittos for my wife and I! Absolutely disgusting and insane!

Did you, by any chance, downsize the lines from 3/4" off the tank to 1/2" with the shark bite lines, and if so, did you leave the white restrictor in place? Or, if you are running 3/4" off of the supply lines same question about the insert. I don't know if that restriction would be enough to cause your problem, but as you have stated, the other shower works the same way, so most logically, it is starting at the tank, and the only thing you said you changed is the supply lines. The dip tube should be okay as it really isn't exposed to many breakable conditions during shipment (but you never know), and the vacuum breaker is functioning properly, etc. We will all be curious to see what the resolve is here.

Did you, by any chance, downsize the lines from 3/4" off the tank to 1/2" with the shark bite lines, and if so, did you leave the white restrictor in place? Or, if you are running 3/4" off of the supply lines same question about the insert. I don't know if that restriction would be enough to cause your problem, but as you have stated, the other shower works the same way, so most logically, it is starting at the tank, and the only thing you said you changed is the supply lines. The dip tube should be okay as it really isn't exposed to many breakable conditions during shipment (but you never know), and the vacuum breaker is functioning properly, etc. We will all be curious to see what the resolve is here.
He installed a used heater. There’s no telling what was done or not done to a second hand heater.

Back