How to make trench refill look better?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longbow

Reaction score
I just had a my water service replaced on a rental home. The main goal was to increase water pressure in the house and it really did the job. The big problem I have now is a huge mound of dirt over the trench going through the front yard. This house is a rental and needs to be rented asap and I am afraid the ugliness of the dirt mound will deter renters. I was wondering if I could rent something or pay somebody to come in and compress the soil down flat? Is it safe to do something like that over the water line? We used 3/4k copper for the water service.

Last edited:
What ever you do, leave some extra around. If you rake it flat now, it is still going to settle and drop abit, so you are going to need some more to level it up again.

You can rent a wacker or a vibraplate, a wacker is for deeper trenches and can easily reach 92% compaction and the viraplate will reach that on shallower trenches. 92% is what I have to be at when backfilling my trenches in the street and doesn't really settle any more afterwards and you can immediatly plant grass or whatever withour worrying about it.

Back