How to insert the barbed end of brass/pvc fitting into this black irrigation pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyT

Reaction score
Hi there,

I need to cap off this 1" irrigation pipe. It's hard to tell what material this black pipe is made of, it is something between rubber and pvc.
Soaking it in boiling water for a few minutes didn't make it more pliable. I couldn't insert either the brass fitting or the blue fitting. Do you know what professional plumbers use to flex the pipe and make its end more receptable to the barbed fitting?

The picture below shows the cut-off section of the pipe, the old brass fitting, and the new blue plug.
pic2.jpg
The fixture the pipe was connected to was broken by the wave. I cut off the old brass fitting too soon! Now I couldn't insert any barbed fitting back into the pipe! Please help! Appreciate it very much!

pic1.jpg

Yes, it looks like it’s poly pipe. I need to go buy a torch gun then. Thank you for the reply!

If you have power close by you can use a heat gun, or even a good hair dryer. Guys that install sprinklers carry a torch with a wide fan head. Be sure to put the clamps on first and tighten them while the poly pipe is still hot.

Thank you for the suggestion! I don't have a heat gun either. But I can give my hair dryer a try before heading out to buy any tool. It sounds like the hair dryer could be more powerful than the boiling water.

You could just use a gas grill or a charcoal grill.

Heat your pipe up and when you’re finished throw some burgers on

Latest posts

Back