How do the pros install touchless faucets that need an outlet for power (Canada)?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edee_em

Reaction score
Interested in installing a touchless kitchen faucet. Model I'm looking at needs an outlet to plug in to. The module/solenoid, of course, would be installed under the kitchen sink in a cabinet. The code, here in Ontario, Canada seems to indicate (in its most restrictive sense) that an outlet can't be installed in a cabinet. How do the electrical codes impact on how you would install such a faucet?

PS: Should add that the manufacturer specs a non-switched outlet and the faucet draws 0.1 amps.

PSS: This whole situation puzzles me because they sell the faucets up here but how do we supply power to them if we can't install an outlet in a cabinet where it is?

Thanks

Last edited:
I want to stay with Kohler as this is part of a replacement under warranty. They are giving me a credit for the old faucet which I can apply to a new faucet so I thought this would be a good time to upgrade to touchless but, apparently, I'm not allowed to have nice things.:)

I want to stay with Kohler as this is part of a replacement under warranty. They are giving me a credit for the old faucet which I can apply to a new faucet so I thought this would be a good time to upgrade to touchless but, apparently, I'm not allowed to have nice things.:)
There's not an adapter for using batteries instead? usually there is a option for both. In my area most touchless faucets ship with a battery pack and the power adapter is an optional accessory.

Regarding the outlet under a sink, it might be worth checking with a local electrician. Do you guys not have garbage disposals in your area?

There's not an adapter for using batteries instead? usually there is a option for both. In my area most touchless faucets ship with a battery pack and the power adapter is an optional accessory.

Regarding the outlet under a sink, it might be worth checking with a local electrician. Do you guys not have garbage disposals in your area?
No battery packs on their most recent models, it seems. Their descriptions make a point of pointing out that they are "AC powered--no battery changes required." They do have one model that has a battery pack but it is their most expensive and out of my budget/what I'm willing to pay. I did an internet wide search of battery powered Kohler faucets but the one I came across was only for the Asian market and another one said it is no longer available in our markets.

Also a no to garbage disposals in our area. They were banned decades ago in many municipalities. I do have an email in to our Electrical Safely Authority who oversee code compliance/permitting/etc. Thanks for your thoughts!

Not allowing outlets under sinks is just plain stupid.
All of the USA and the rest of the world allows it, so just do what makes sense to the rest of the world.
Hear you 100% but I can't ignore codes. My goal in life is to make an insurance company make a huge payout to me (for all the years of grief they have caused) and my house would qualify for that. So, I do not want to let them off the hook by not adhering to code. ;)

Could you just cut off the plug and wire the faucet cord into a junction box? You could even use a waterproof junction box to provide an extra safety margin since it is in a arguably potentially wet location.

Could you just cut off the plug and wire the faucet cord into a junction box? You could even use a waterproof junction box to provide an extra safety margin since it is in a arguably potentially wet location.
I believe the adapter is a transformer type to reduce line to 12 or 24v. Will have to check to make sure. Like the way you're thinking!! (Was going to say thinking "out of the box" but your thought is actually inside a box!!) 🤣

Last edited:
I believe the adapter is a transformer type to reduce line to 12 or 24v. Will have to check to make sure. Like they way you're thinking!! (Was going to say thinking "out of the box" but your thought is actually inside a box!!) 🤣
I think you will need to provide GFCI protection to the outlet whatever you do since it's near a water source. Same reason the shaver/hair dryer outlet is GFCI

Back