Help with installing a sink drain - roughed in bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHomeOwner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking some some advice/guidance on how I can connect my bathroom sink. I am finishing my roughed in bathroom in the basement. I have put a circle around where i would like to tie in to. I realize that there already is a section on the other pipe that is stubbed out, but i can't use that side, because the pipe is running from the opposite side. any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

plumbing.JPG

Question first. Is that pipe just stubbed out facing to the left and capped or is is turning through the wall to another sink behind the wall that is showing?

thx for the reply. the stubbed out pipe is just capped. the smaller pipe in the ground is for the shower drain and the larger is for the toilet.

I think that would be the easiest way to solve the solution. That other pipe in the wall looks like a vent for the shower or toilet. I would'nt cut a tee into that line cause then you would be wet venting the shower or toilet,(which ever line that vents) Here in Tx, we usually try not to wet vent unless you are having to wash a fixture line.

i see, i was trying to avoid doing it that way because that means i would have to run a pipe either in front or behind the longer vertical pipe on the left.

I understand what you mean. But if after you turn the tee facing to the left and add a short piece of pipe that is long enough with a 90 to where it almost touches the other virtical pipe to the left, that will be plenty close enough to where you have the circled drawn. You should'nt have to go in front or behind the pipe to the left. When you go to hook up your bathroom sink, you will be able to swing the p-trap enough to where you can easily hook up the drain. In other words, I guess what I'm trying to say is you do not have to have your waste line inside the 2 x 4 stud wall. After you glue on the 90 degree elbow, just glue a long enough piece of pipe in that one that will get you outside the stud wall. You do not have to be dead on with the stub out for the drain line for it to work. Like I said, you have enough swing play in the trap to hook the sink up.

i think i might have explained this incorrectly. The sink is actually on the other side of the room, that is why my new piping will have to come from the opposite side of the room. I have put in black lines from where the pipe has to come.

plumbing.JPG

Okay, that's a whole different monster then. Question then, what is the distance from where the tee is now to where you need the drain to stub out for the sink if you followed the wall the whole way?

There are a couple of things you can still do. #1 I don't know about Toronto but here in Texas a 1-1/2" waste arm can not be any longer that 4' so you would have to run the full 4' of waste arm from where you plan on stubbing out for the sink then you would have to use a 2x1-1/2 reducing coupling and run the rest in 2" to the new tee which would be a 2x2x2 sanitary tee. The only problem with that would be when you turn the corner it would eat up a good portion of the corner studs because of the 90 degree elbow that would have to go in there. If you can't do this you might have to break concrete and run a seperate new waste line for the new sink.

no, there will be a shower in the corner. I see what you're saying about the elbow eating a good chunk of the corner 2X4's, and that might not be a great idea. Maybe i do have to break the concrete to run a new line. :(

Well, if there is not going to be a cabinet in the corner I'm sorry to say but that seems to be your only choice and I wish you luck.

Back