Help with a shallow well pump setup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagecalman

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend with a shallow well setup. The pump is in the crawlspace.
He has some leaks and wants to replace the fittings.
We assume there is a check/foot valve at the bottom.
There is also a check valve on the suction side of the pump that should be replaced but he is concerned that he will loose his prime. I told him the one at the bottom is keeping the prime.
I'm thinking if he pours water in at the pump it just stops at the check valve at the pump. Maybe I'm wrong.
Is the check valve in the crawlspace needed and if so what is it's purpose?
Is there a better way to plumb this?
Thanks

Attachments

• Bens 032.JPE
    Bens 032.JPE
    959.3 KB · Views: 0
When there is a check valve on the pump suction there is usually not one in/at the well. You may have to prime the pump a time or three to get it going, but it should prime up again.

Check valves and everything else in a pump system fail from the pump cycling on and off too much. So, yes there is a better way to plumb that will also make the pump system last longer and deliver strong constant pressure to the house.

PK1A with Sand Point.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply and great info.

So if that is the only check valve does the water below it slowly drain back down or does the check valve keep it from doing that?

The house is in Delaware so he does get some freezing temperatures. Built in 1987.
There is not a large 4" or 6" well head sticking out of the ground. There is only a 2" or 2-1/2" PVC pipe sticking out about 2 feet. Are you familiar with something like this? I don't know if there is a pitless adapter or what.
I tried searching online but can't find anything.

Just trying to understand how the outside is configured.

Thanks again.

Back