Do irrigation pumps on artesian wells using solenoid valves need check valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickFlorida

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm about to finalize the design of my irrigation system. There's something I'm not sure about. The old system I removed was an indexing valve type system. I have moved the pump location and will be using 3 solenoid valves (for 3 zones). I have an artesian well (constant pressure).

I know I need a filter on the 2 inch inlet PVC before it enters pumps, but what I'm not sure of is do I need any kind of check valve or one way valve? What I don't understand is how come when the pump was off when it had the old indexing valve, why didn't the constant pressure of the well push water through the zones when pump was off? Will my new solenoid valves automatically go in the closed position when off so that will also stop the constant pressure of water going through the zones when pump is off? I read that only irrigation pumps that are on city water will use a master solenoid valve before the zone valves. So I think I only need 3 valves for the 3 zones. But is that what will stop water from contantly flowing from my artesian well when the pump is off?

thanks,

When using city water, the incoming water lines are charged with 60-90 PSI, and the valves are used to control the flow, or stop the flow when they are off. My timer box (Rachio Brand) also has another terminal which would shut off any pumps when the sprinklers are not in use. I'd recommend researching how the Rachio sprinkler control could benefit you.

When using city water, the incoming water lines are charged with 60-90 PSI, and the valves are used to control the flow, or stop the flow when they are off. My timer box (Rachio Brand) also has another terminal which would shut off any pumps when the sprinklers are not in use. I'd recommend researching how the Rachio sprinkler control could benefit you.
Ah, that's a great tool to think about. It looks electronic though. I doubt it would survive in my salt atomized air by the ocean with 99% humidity. But I appreciate the idea. While the flow is very high from my artesian well, I don't think the PSI is so great that it will burst through the closed solenoid valves or tubing system that should be rated to about 200 PSI. The PSI is probably not too high but thanks for the idea! I kind of just wanted to confirm that solenoid valves automatically close if not given the electric signal and now I realize they are. I bought large Rainbird solenoid valves, they are close to commercial grade so I think I'm good. I want the simplest system possible for less maintenance and the harsh environment.

Back