Bathroom Drain Stopper Leak (Do I even need one?)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenitech

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but I took a lot of photos with measurements!

I'm in an old house and this fix just needs to be somewhat temporary since we plan on eventually replacing and remodeling fixtures (will hire professionals for that!).

I disassembled the bathroom sink stopper so that I could clean the gunk out (a plumber did this about a year ago while making a different reapair). I re-assembled but now water is leaking from the ball. Seems like this is typically a bad gasket or washer. I inspected the locking nut and it appeared that there was an old crusty gasket embedded in the nut, mostly solidified on the inside so I scraped it all out assuming I would go to the hardware store and replace. Turns out the off-the-shelf 1 1/4" tapered plastic washer is too big. So I re-measured the inner part of the locking nut and it's 3cm. So it seems like I'm in metric land over here. I've googled a ton and I don't know that I can find something for this.

Options I am thinking:

1. Somebody on here could suggest a gasket or washer or whatever that I could try (without me having to buy an assorted set of 100.
2. I call my plumber and see if I can bring this part by their office and they probably have a part (not trying to skirt around their business, they already service my HVAC system)
3. I can't think of a single reason why I even need a functioning stopper here. I could just put a mesh cup in there to catch debris. Could I just put some sort of cap on the opening where the assembly goes and just call it a day? Again, this sink will eventually be replaced.
4. Based on the measurements in the photos could I just buy a new pipe (where the connection is to the sink (assuming that connection is a standard size) and buy a drain stopper assembly? Or will I likely run into issues where the dimensions are not going to work. I don't care if the stopper doesn't stop properly.. I just don't want a leak.
5. Call a plumber.

Oh, and the other issue with this sink is that the hot water faucet doesn't do anything anymore. Won't turn off the water, so I just turned the valve off a year ago. There's a philips screw on top that I removed but nothing comes apart from there. No idea how to open and see if maybe there's a (cartridge??) I can replace.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ball pieces.jpg
    ball pieces.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 0
  • locking nut measure.jpg
    locking nut measure.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 0
  • sink under measure front.jpg
    sink under measure front.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 0
  • sink under measure brightne.jpg
    sink under measure brightne.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 02 sink under.jpg
    02 sink under.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • stopper width.jpg
    stopper width.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 0
  • stopper.jpg
    stopper.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 0
  • faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 0
It’s American standard.

Post a pic of the entire lavatory and faucet standing at a distance to include everything.

Then I’ll give you advice.

It’s American standard.

Post a pic of the entire lavatory and faucet standing at a distance to include everything.

Then I’ll give you advice.
Ah, thanks. I thought I uploaded these. Guess not.

Attachments

• 01 sink wide.jpg
    01 sink wide.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • sink under wide.jpg
    sink under wide.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 0
Well, I decided I would see if I could remove the trap. I suspected something like this might happen. The threaded end broke completely off. Am I screwed here? (Pun intended). What do I do? Do I call a plumber at this point?

I also noticed that the cold shut-off valve is stuck so without a functioning drain this whole thing is making me a little nervous now.

Attachments

• p-trap-broke 02.jpg
    p-trap-broke 02.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 0
  • p-trap-broke 01.jpg
    p-trap-broke 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Indeed case closed.

Also, a "pop up drain" for the sink apparently still uses a rod to manually control the "pop up". I wonder if anyone makes one like they do for tubs where you can just step on it to open/close.
Oh and for the record the conversation with the plumber was that I will eventually renovate this bathroom and get a whole new sink so I just needed the sink to be functionally. I'm totally happy with this. Honestly prefer this type of drain here anywy.

Indeed case closed.

Also, a "pop up drain" for the sink apparently still uses a rod to manually control the "pop up". I wonder if anyone makes one like they do for tubs where you can just step on it to open/close.
Sure but you have to put your hand in the water to do so or use something to reach down into the water to drain it.

A lift rod solves that issue.

I know everything so if you have any questions, I’m the man to ask.

Sure but you have to put your hand in the water to do so or use something to reach down into the water to drain it.

A lift rod solves that issue.

I know everything so if you have any questions, I’m the man to ask.
I have a question. Why are people filling up a bathroom sink?

I have a question. Why are people filling up a bathroom sink?
To wash hair and shaving cream off the razor when they shave.

Some women soak head scarfs in their lavatory.

Bathrooms don’t have sinks they have lavatories.

I’m glad to have helped you Rickyman, now go and spread the knowledge you have learned. 🤣

To wash hair and shaving cream off the razor when they shave.

Some women soak head scarfs in their lavatory.

Bathrooms don’t have sinks they have lavatories.

I’m glad to have helped you Rickyman, now go and spread the knowledge you have learned. 🤣
Nice, so they and other family members brush their teeth and spit it out in the sink. Then fill the sink and dunk their razor in and slide it across their face. Or wash their hair in the spit sink. Sounds disgusting

Nice, so they and other family members brush their teeth and spit it out in the sink. Then fill the sink and dunk their razor in and slide it across their face. Or wash their hair in the spit sink. Sounds disgusting
They all use the same toilet also. It’s gross

Back