Add Shut Off Valve for Outside Faucets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh

Reaction score
My outdoor faucets don't have a shut off valve for turning off the water to them in winter. I'd like to add one. There's a common supply pipe from my well's pressure tank in one corner of the basement to about even with one of the outdoor faucets. The pipe then splits, with a smaller pipe going vertical then back to horizontal on the way to the faucet in the back yard. That pipe runs under the joists in my unfinished laundry room. After the split, the supply pipe goes to the front of the house. There's another split with a pipe going to the kitchen sink to provide unsoftened water, and the pipe continues on to the front yard spigot. All copper pipe.

I no longer use the unsoftened water faucet to the kitchen sink, having replaced it with a filtered water spigot (so it's capped off). Due to the furnace and the finished part of my basement, reaching that pipe to install a second shut-off valve would be a nightmare. I believe it will be best to install one shut-off in the common pipe that runs to both outdoor faucets (and the unused kitchen part).

I got a shutoff valve from Menards. I have installed one like this before in a dishwasher line, where the length wasn't critical. That is, I just used a pipe cutting tool, made one cut, installed the valve, and let the remaining part protrude a little farther behind the dishwasher where the flexible hose accommodated the connection. There's no "slack" in the pipe to the outside faucets, so I'm a little worried about cutting out the exact right amount of pipe so the valve will fit. Giving the pipe a little tug with my hand, there's no play in the pipe, so it also might be difficult to put the valve in place even with the right length segment removed.

So, I'm looking for some advice in installing this valve prior to turning off the water and cutting anything only to find I've messed up. (Pic is what I took so I'd have the correct size for picking the valve.)

Attachments

• 20240228_154439.jpg
    20240228_154439.jpg
    886.6 KB
Back