What is wrong with my water heater?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1) it's electric

2) the water will get warm to even hot-ish now after doing #3 below

3) I drained some sediment out of it the other day after noticing that the hot water would not last any longer (it seemed to run out quickly) and it got a bit better. It now gets hot but goes to warm quickly, but the warm water lasts longer than it did.

4) there is air in the hot water some times

what's wrong?

you likely have a burnt out element, or large sediment deposits on the elements. when you drained it you removed to cooler water that was at the bottom ( less dense ) and caused the migration of the hot water into its place, but as you use the hot water it fills back up with cold. these tanks having a slow recovery rate will cool quickly if either of the 2 elements is not working properly and sediment would cause it to take longer to heat due to insulating of the element, a burnt out element would also do this .

have a plumber test the elements for amperage draw or disconnect the power and check for continuity, is the ohm meter reads O.L. then you have a burnt out element... i repeat DISCONNECT THE POWER, if you are testing ohms. amp tests are better for properly determining this problem.

also you MUST have water in the tank when these elements fire.

Could also be a busted dip tube.

hope this helps .

Back