Well temporarily loses pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah don't like closed loop. But it is better for your well also to have a small continuous draw verses a big draw for a few minute and then zero draw. The on/off causes the well to surge up and down. Drawing a small amount for longer times doesn't surge the well. I have a well pump that hasn't shut off, except for power outages, since 1996.

I am glad you are getting 20 years out of your pump, but even chaffed wires are caused by cycling. So, if it lasted 20 years without a CSV, it would have lasted longer with a CSV. Most people I talk to say they can't afford to save energy with the heat pump because their well pump is cycling itself to death every year or two, and a CSV can solve that problem.

Yeah don't like closed loop. But it is better for your well also to have a small continuous draw verses a big draw for a few minute and then zero draw. The on/off causes the well to surge up and down. Drawing a small amount for longer times doesn't surge the well. I have a well pump that hasn't shut off, except for power outages, since 1996.

I am glad you are getting 20 years out of your pump, but even chaffed wires are caused by cycling. So, if it lasted 20 years without a CSV, it would have lasted longer with a CSV. Most people I talk to say they can't afford to save energy with the heat pump because their well pump is cycling itself to death every year or two, and a CSV can solve that problem.
I agree, with a hp like yours where it runs constantly. The cycling would be terrible. Mine would cycle everytime it kicked on regardless. My 20 year pumps were also older better made pumps. This current tractor supply pump.. pretty sure it's made by pentair, (but who knows for sure) we will see if it goes past 5. I wonder, if it is going bad if it will start drawing more current. So if it goes from its current 1125 and goes up to say 1300, I would think impending failure. Or maybe they just quit and they don't ever pull more watts.
But are you saying you are pulling Less than the 1.5 gpm / ton when your running ?
You still must have a very good well . Mine was rated at 35 gpm, but that was 44 years ago .

I am running 3 tons with 4 GPM, because that is all I have. Temperature delta is about 25 degrees, but it works well.

The brand of pump greatly determines how well the amps follow the flow rate. Pentair is one of the worst using a floating stage design that usually only drops about 10% in amperage. Grundfos with a floating stack design is my favorite with 50%-60% drop in amps on most of their pumps. I don't know how they can sell VFD's when there pumps naturally drop in amps so well? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am running 3 tons with 4 GPM, because that is all I have. Temperature delta is about 25 degrees, but it works well.

The brand of pump greatly determines how well the amps follow the flow rate. Pentair is one of the worst using a floating stage design that usually only drops about 10% in amperage. Grundfos with a floating stack design is my favorite with 50%-60% drop in amps on most of their pumps. I don't know how they can sell VFD's when there pumps naturally drop in amps so well? :rolleyes:
25 is pretty good for cooling, especially with only 4 gpm. I get 20 - 22 cooling, (depending on the water temp) and about 30 heating.
Maybe your incomming water temp is cool. I just checked mine and it's 67.
Back June 10, it was 64 so I was getting 22 then and 67 gets me 20 now.
I'd love to put in a grundfos 2 wire, (don't want thier vfd) but when your pump stops, you don't have time to order one.. and no one carrys an $$$ 8-900 pump locally. And it's not really feasible to put one on the shelf.
So the best of what's available was from tractor supply.

Back