Water Well Pressure Fluctuating

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Malone

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old clay tile well with a new submersible pump that was installed two summers ago. The well is approximately 35' deep. We have had water pressure issues for the last few days, and at times there is no water. We have a UV light filter, a water softener, and a sediment filter in the well house. Just now, there was zero water coming out in the house. The pressure on the gauge in the well house showed zero. When I turned the last ball valve before the water exits the well house towards the house off, about 30 seconds later the pressure gauge shot up to 20 PSI and is slowly climbing from there.

Does this indicate a leak between the well house and the house somewhere?

The water softener also seems to be running a regen everyday for the last few days, but I'm wondering if it just keeps getting interrupted due to the low water pressure.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately it sounds like the overload in the motor is tripping. Even though it is only 2 years old it could have cycled on and off enough by now to have damaged the motor, or if it is a 3 wire motor, maybe just the start cap and relay. Get a clip around AC amp meter and see how many amps the motor is drawing. If the amps are high the motor maybe damaged. If the amps are within spec for the motor it could just be a bad start cap. When the overload in a submersible trips it cools down in a minute or so and just seems the water magically came back on.

Nearly every problem with a pump system is caused by the pump cycling on and off too much. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve is all you have to do to solve that problem.

Latest posts

Back