Danco Universal Popup designed to leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
1000004116.jpg1000004120.jpg

This is a Danco 80767 universal popup stopper for a bathroom sink. I'm posting this because I have now tried about a dozen times to install them under my two bathroom sinks, only to have them leak every single time. It doesn't help I had to wait for a replacement as they also break under hand-tight tension as shown in the second picture.

I wanted to get some other opinions, as I've done to the conclusion that this product will actually leak no matter what. I realize this is ridiculous as this product as many good reviews and I'm sure many people are using it. I also believe that they're probably are many people with water in their sink cabinet that they're not aware of.

As you can see with this product the threads at the top of the tail piece go all the way up and there is no smooth section for the rubber gasket to actually sit smoothly on and create a seal. I took to using tape to try and help a seal be created but to no avail. The nut that tightens the gasket also has a bunch of play and is not going to be stopping any water from running down the threads. Therefore I see absolutely no reason why the water around the overflow section at the top of the tailpiece cannot simply run down the threads all the way down the tail piece and pool in the nut at the top of the p-trap.

This is what I'm seeing over and over and the only solution seems to be to seal at the bottom of the nut with some sort of caulk or glue or whatever. Is it just assumed that we would seal in this way? I see other semi-universal seeming pop-up stoppers like this and they have a smooth section for the rubber gasket above the nut to actually seal on. That makes sense. This design seems bound to forever have water running down the threads and into your cabinet.

It's almost hard to believe that this would actually be the case. Can somebody tell me if there is something about this product that I am just not understanding? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back