Please help lost here

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard32

Reaction score
Can you all please help me with this…

I had a very good plumber come over to do some work.

He turned on this hose type thing in my basement which probably hasn’t been turned in in 5 years.

after he left I noticed it was dripping a lot. Probably about a full liter every 10 mins and my basement got a bit wet

I called him back. He used a wrench to tight it a bit and put a cap on it. It did stop the leaking.

my question is could it still be leaking internally?where is the leak going currently? Can my pipes bust because of this?

thank you all so muchIMG_5697.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5696.jpeg
    IMG_5696.jpeg
    2.5 MB
If It makes a difference I do not use the water softener

The pipe below the one has my main shut off valve on it for the entirenhouse

The yellow drain works. Anytime I run water through the house I can lift up the yellow stopper and see the water drain under there

I have no idea why a faucet is even attached to this contraption.

The house is aboutn75 years old

Thank you all!

The yellow drain works. Anytime I run water through the house I can lift up the yellow stopper and see the water drain under there

Thank you all!
It’s a drain for the house plumbing. Tightening it, and capping it keeps the water in the pipes and off your floor. Short of changing the valve or perhaps rebuilding it that was certainly a low-cost solution.

If you are not using the water softener, you should just have it removed. Doing nothing for you, but perhaps adding some complexity to your plumbing system since the water must travel through the bypass valve on its head anyway.

Thank you all!
That valve either needs to be rebuilt or replaced. There are rubber parts inside that wear out or go bad. I'd replace is with a 1/4 turn valve if it were mine to do. Sorry for repeating what Mitchell said.

That valve either needs to be rebuilt or replaced. There are rubber parts inside that wear out or go bad. I'd replace is with a 1/4 turn valve if it were mine to do. Sorry for repeating what Mitchell said.
Is it 100% necessary? What if I don’t replace it?

Latest posts

Back