Vents to atmosphere

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

Reaction score
In my attic, I have a drain collection point for the water heater and A/C unit, which then drops down to the main drain. A 1 1/2" PVC vent comes off the top of the drain and out through the roof. The problem is that it goes from floor level at 45 degrees to the closest roof point and it crosses directly across my access. Would it be ok for me to run the vent vertically for about six feet and then have about a 3 ft horizontal to connect back to the existing 45 just before it passes through the roof? Obviously I would have to ensure no adverse slope on the horizontal, but other than that, will there be any other problems?

Under Florida code, as long as the horizontal section of the vent is 6 inches or more above the rim of whatever it is venting, you are within code requirements. It sounds as though you will meet that requirements, so you should be good. Just make sure that the vent is well supported.

Thanks. I will have a fitting to fitting 45 right at floor level, then a 5 ft vert rise to a 90, then a 5ft horizontal to a 45 just inside the roof. I will still have to stoop to get by it, but not as much as we do now. Thanks

Back