Tying new basement bath into main

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleComplex

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm working on plumbing a new basement 3/4 bath. I'm running 3" abs to the main stack. I'd like to connect this line at the bottom of the stack with a 4x4x3 wye, 1/8 combo. Can I put another wye above the 1/8 for a clean out? If not, how would you do this clean out?

Thanks

if I understand correctlly you are looking for a cleanout to access the branch you have installed for the bathroom? if so you can use the water closet as a cleanout if you should need to ( pull the wc. and auger through ) i would recomend using a line cleanout ( also referred to as a barrett ) to have accesiblle cleanout to the 4" line but to answer your question ( as i understand it ) yes, there is no reason that you cannot install a c/o above a branch to serve the main stack

Thanks LiQuId

I did a little more research. Been doing remodel work for 8 years and there's never an end to the learning! So I think I'm going with two combination wye's. I'm coming off the bottom of the main with a 1/8 and into the wye. I'll put a cleanout on the top run and down to a second combination wye with one end heading down the 4" to the street and the other end hooking up the new 3" run. Similar to the diagram on this site cleanouts.htm except I'm replacing the 1/4 sweep with a combination wye.

That sound solid?

Last edited:
I was going to snap into my existing lines this weekend but stalled out. I live in Minneapolis, MN. I know we have some different rules here but does anyone know if I'll have any issues with the inspector if I use a wye and 1/8 at the bottom of my main stack. I see people using elbows to turn the main horizontal and then tying in the basement drains with a horizontal wye a foot or so down line. This would be harder since it would require my drain to go under a footing. I know I can use a wye in this configuration but I don't want to do it and then find out you cant use it this way at the bottom of the main stack or some detail like that.

Any thoughts on this?

Back