Tom-Kap over toilet rough-in?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScAndal

Reaction score
OK I'm stumped as why anyone would do this.

toilet.jpg

Any ideas on 1.) how to validate that this is a toilet run? It is exactly where the toilet should be based on the blue prints of the house and the shower and sink are roughed in right between them. There is also a cleanout just down the line about 6 feet away.

2.) Best way to flange this thing?

Any help would be appreciated as I can't afford to bring in a plumber right now so I thought I'd see what I could do on my own.

ScAndal

Tom Kap is usually glued into 3" or 4" pipe.
You can try and peel out the threaded fitting part that is glued in.
If it is 4" ABS pipe then often the outside hub of a 3" closet flange will fit inside the 4" pipe.
I think my next how thread might be on how to peel a glued in ABS pipe from a fitting. They make a cool tool that is not very expensive that can drill out old pipe from a fitting but I don't think that this will work in this application.
Open / remove the plug and see if you can see if the pipe turns horizontal and if it reduces to 3". A closet bend typically reduces from 4" to 3"

It it is 4 " pipe you can also get a small jackhammer and chip out the concrete from around the pipe and glue a 4" hub flange on to it.

one more thing if you open it and there is a 90 look into it with a mirror. usually it will go toward a wall for a vent and then go down.

Last edited:
Mr_David,

What outstanding information. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Do they make a special tool to unscrew the Tom Kap?

-ScAndal

Last edited:
Yes but I just use a piece of 1/4" flat steel with an adjustable crest wrench

Last edited:
Sounds good. I will do the same. Is there anything I can use besides a jackhammer? For such a small amount of cement, I would think I could use some type a chisel instead?

Yes but I just use a piece of 1/4" flat steel with an adjustable crest wrench

You could try renting a hammer drill like a Bosch Bulldog or something similar like it. I just did the very exact thing about two weeks ago where I had to replace a old flange and had to chip the concrete from around the pipe. I don't think the rental is very much

Did you ever set the toilet on the stub once you removed the tom kap? I have the same set up in my basement.

Back