Sink Gurgling.....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertwhite

Reaction score
So I have a bathroom in which the sink drained really slow and would gurgle up when a toilet is flushed.

There is no vent pipe opening to outside air real close to it.

So yesterday I take the P-trap off, put a T (which is baffled) and use the second opening for installing an AAV.

Run the sink for 10 minutes and no back up, drains fine. Flush the toilet, no gurgle. OK, problem solved.................... Except that today, the sink is back to gurgling and slow draining. How can that be?

I screwed the AAV on a only few threads as I did not want to interfere with the flap inside as I don't know how it actually works, but ars I said, it worked yesterday.

What gives?

Pictures help?
I'm baffled as to how you used a baffled tee. :cool:

I'l have to take a pic tomorrow.

I had the baffled T in my bag of plumbing parts. It is a regular 1 1/2" T that has about half of each "leg" blocked or baffled internally. Never saw one before and don't know where it came from, but I figure it was made as a type of Sani T, but in a straight T version. Obviously, I can't take an internal photo, but I will try and make a drawing too.

What gets me is why was the issue fixed immediately after I put the AAV on, and then today, it's back to how it was before.

My suggestion would be in place of the Tee put a 90 elbow, before the pipe goes into the wall add a tee and build up, then put the air admittance valve. And just another suggestion actually buy one of the name brand air admittance valves not one of the cheap black ones.

My suggestion would be in place of the Tee put a 90 elbow, before the pipe goes into the wall add a tee and build up, then put the air admittance valve. And just another suggestion actually buy one of the name brand air admittance valves not one of the cheap black ones.

I almost agree. swing the trap around so the trap ell ( arm) goes back into the trap arm into the wall. put the tee on the trap arm. better yet ,replace the baffle tee with an none baffle tee

I know what a baffle tee is.
They are used on kitchen drains to connect garbage disposal and the continuous waste from the 2nd compartment sink. meant to direct the pressurized flow of discharge from disposal down into trap instead of splashing up in to other sink

baff tee.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back