Sewage Pump Check Valve Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xvrickh

Reaction score
My sewage pump is broken, luckily the switch broke in the on position and not the off, so the pump is continuously running atm (yes I opened it up and made sure nothing is stuck on the float). I found a check valve ball valve combo at my hardware store. It's silenced by a spring loaded flapper. My 2 inch pvc pipe goes pretty much straight up to the ceiling of my basement from the sewage ejector pump and connects to a pipe that leads away from my house, but this check and ball valve combo says to only install the valve in the horizontal position, not vertical. Will this cause major problems if I install the check and ball value combo in a vertical position? I'm guessing solids could come back down and block the flap of the check valve, but that could happen with any check valve placed vertically. I keep running into mixed information on installing a check valve for vertical piping. Attached is a picture of my current set up.20210518_211215.jpg

If the switch is broke then why are you replacing the check valve ?

Some manufacturers allow either position, some specify horizontal.

Solids can settle onto the flapper and it could stick closed when in the vertical position. It’s less likely to happen in the horizontal position.

Back