Replacing cast iron stack in basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnj

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the stack in my basement... I unfortunately can't just call in a pro right now, too many things going on and I'm just looking to replace with PVC, not really redesign/reinvent the wheel! Here are my questions and open to any concerns someone here with experience may have:

The main reason I'm doing this is I discovered the top 4" cast is completely cracked the entire length on the top side (my guess is it wasn't supported properly? not sure why).

My plan of attack:

Cut the 4" cast between the cesspool exit and the main cleanout trap, connect to new 4" PVC there with a fernco and build out PCV from there including a new 4" PVC for that vent as well in the same location in the trap (first).

The 4" cracked toilet drain, I'm going to carefully try and chisel/break the hub off the elbow sitting on the foundation, and fernco 4" to PVC there. otherwise going to use a sawzall and cut it before the hub. The elbow seems to be in good shape.

and last cut, 2" shower/sink drain before that hub there above the gas line (ya I'll turn off the gas) and 2" fernco to the new PVC stack 4x4x2 whye.

If anyone has some time before I attempt this weekend, please feel free to share your concerns/suggestions. Anything not mentioned is just going to be plumbed as is using PVC

20140603_071908.jpg

Thanks!

Sounds good but use mission bands not ferncos. Glue joints are even better

Sounds good but use mission bands not ferncos. Glue joints are even better

Thanks - I was wondering if the fernco would be sufficient. I'll look at those mission band couplings as I had to delay this a bit.

Well, all done... The carbide sawzall blade cut through the iron well, but so did the straight metal blades. The only hiccup was the "to cesspool" fernco leaked after it was altogether on the cast side. We had to pull it off and grind down a burr on the cast, that was annoying but the only surprise.

20140621_182236.jpg

A few "no no"'s there, but it works.

:D

feel free to point out - this was a fire drill/cheap solution to fix the cracked cast. It's PVC now so the tasks are a bit easier to accomplish - I'll be adding a bathroom soon and will likely modify the current 4" bathroom drain then.

Fernco bands have to much movement. I recommend mission bands and even a husky band where pvc ties into main. Also you cant lay santee fittings on there back. And not sure why you have a ptrap at main when all the other drains in house have ptraps. It will be hard to cable that line if ever needed. Ptraps at your fixtures keep sewer gases from going in home because they hold water and cause a vapor block

I just did the trap mainly because I was replacing it as it was, figured with the cesspool can't hurt to have another trap.

I actually had someone pick up the mission bands and was planning on using them but they showed up with more of the ferncos I already had so I used them. The fernco gave me trouble at the main there cause of a burr on the cast iron. I eventually got it sealed up but I think the mission band would have saved me some work.

The wye in the back right has a stopper in it in the photo, needed some 2" bits that I needed to get.

Back