Reducing water pressure of the heating system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafie

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Dunkirk XEB-6 furnace. First, the pressure was a little bit high around 25 psi. The manual said that the pressure should between 12 and 20 psi. I thought that the relief valve is not working. so i went ahead and tested it by lifting the lever and releasing some water. after that the water did not stop dripping from the relief valve. I realized that I did not turn the system off before messing with the relief valve. System turned off and cooled off and the water still dripping from the relief valve and the pressure still high (around 27psi). Next i used the "reducing valve" to reduce pressure. after the system was turned on, the pressure reached 37 psi (too dangerous). Using the reducing valve didn't help reducing the pressure. I turned the heating system off and we are freezing now

By the way, i have only one gauge on the top of the furnace. No gauge next to the reducing valve.

Advice please

Thank you

What did you do to the pressure reducing valve? It sounds like you either turn the adjusting screw in the wrong direction or you turned on the fast fill. As far as the relief valve, by testing it you know have sediment on the seat that's why it's not turning off. But at this point the pressure is to high. The temporary solution to the high pressure would be to turn the valve off before the pressure reducing valve and drain some water off until the pressure is 12 p.s.i. hopefully the relief will stop leaking. If it doesn't stop leaking don't turn the system on and call a professional. The relief valve will have to be replaced. Playing with a heating system with out the know how in the middle of winter is not something you should be doing. There is nothing wrong with doing your own repairs but you have to now your limits.

John

Last edited:
Back