Rainfall showerhead drips hours later

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pakle

Reaction score
Dear plumbing experts, I have a rainfall-style showerhead that will release some water after it's shut off. Even hours after shut off. New Moen Posi-temp valve from shower remodel about 5 yrs ago. New Moen cartridge last year (handle was hard to turn). I've always had this problem with rainfall showerheads even with previous cartridge and before shower remodel/new valve. I don't think it's an issue with the valve or cartridge, I think it's the rainfall style. So last year I got the thinnest rainfall showerhead I could find. Only a couple mm thin and 8" diameter, see pic on left. The previous one was very thick in comparison, see picture on right. However same pattern of drippage. I've followed the internet advice to tilt the setup at an angle, I gently shake the showerhead to get as much water out & wipe clean the silicone nozzles after each use. Is there any way, other than disconnecting & draining the whole thing each time, to get all the water out so it doesn't drip hours later? Or am I doomed to this due to the rainfall style?

Attachments

• showerhead NEW.jpg
    showerhead NEW.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 9
  • showerhead OLD.jpg
    showerhead OLD.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 8
It holds water then gets air later and drains.

I’m not aware of any fix for that.

It holds water then gets air later and drains.

I’m not aware of any fix for that.
Thanks. Forgot to mention, we took out the water restrictor (to get full effect of rainfall). Would putting that back in help? Just curious, do non-rainfall style showerheads do this or just less?

Take the shower head off and install a valve.
Thanks, seems to be the product I'm looking for unfortunately shorter family members won't be able to reach it. What I'd really like is showerhead that is somehow self-draining or has an air hole you can temporarily unplug to release all the water at once. Surprised no one has come up with one yet to avoid this annoying problem.

I would use a handheld cut into the riser. You'd be able drain it fine and have two shower heads.

Thanks. Forgot to mention, we took out the water restrictor (to get full effect of rainfall). Would putting that back in help? Just curious, do non-rainfall style showerheads do this or just less?

Put the restrictor back in and see if it changes. I suspect it will change, not sure it will stop......

Take the shower head and swivel arm off.

Run some water through just the shower arm, then turn off the water.

If the shower arm keeps dripping, problem is in the valve or cartridge.

Otherwise, buy a better rain shower head or a different style.

Personally, I think rain shower heads are usually garbage, and often have weak pressure and are a bad idea overall.

I took off the shower head to put in the restrictor, a good 10 min after the last person took a shower. It streamed water for what seemed like an eternity (reality 15 sec max). I wish I collected the water but I'd estimate half a cup to a cup volume. After it stops, it stops so I don't think it's the valve or cartridge. But judging from the amount of water that streamed out, it's no wonder the thing will drip hours out the little nozzles after it's shut off and not a small amount either. It's been doing this ever since I moved in so over 15 yrs, 2 valves, 3 cartridges, 2 shower arms, and 2 rainfall showerheads. Twowaxhack's explanation of air in the line makes sense to me. If the rainfall style is more prone to this, I'll have to live with it because we've gotten used to the more luxurious experience and whenever we shower at other people's houses or hotels, we miss our rainfall :( Nevertheless, I've put the restrictor in and let you know I see changes.

Another question if anyone knows: what is the science behind only the shower head doing this? None of my bath faucets, kitchen faucet, soaking bathtub faucet drip at all. Do they not get air in their lines?

There is a pipe standing there full of water. The water with no pressure behind it just takes a long time to wick or fall out due to the shower head openings being tiny. When some wicks out air takes its place. Eventually it would stop, but then you take another shower and fill the pipe again.

Maybe try adding a little vacuum breaker, such as this one.

Otherwise, the trapped water only can dribble out as air is slowly pulled in through the shower head orifices.

https://www.amazon.com/Alsons-4900PK-Chrome-Atmos-Breaker/dp/B00BYFOYFM
Thank you! I've never heard of a vacuum breaker so this is all new to me! Review says "Keeps large rain shower head from leaking between use" so I'm going to give it a try. You guys are all so smart, I really appreciate your help on my myriad issues.

Question about the vacuum breaker: Does it get installed between the shower head & shower arm extender? Or between shower arm extender & shower arm going into the wall (in my picture up top)?

I would say it goes right after the shower arm.
So I got the Delta vacuum breaker and installed it between the extender & the rainfall shower head because it's less ugly. Hand tightened everything, no leaks, will monitor a week to see if there's improvement, if not, move to Jeff's recommendation right after shower arm.

The part that confuses me a bit is in the instructions it says:
The Washer is properly installed when the Step in the top of the Washer is visible after installation and the Washer is fully seated in the top of the Vacuum Breaker. If the Washer is installed with the Step not visible, the Vacuum Breaker WILL NOT WORK.

I put the stepped washer in the correct direction and it screws down all the way, no leaks, but the top of the washer is NOT visible after installation. I don't know how it can be both visible and not leak. See attached pictures. Has anyone installed one of these with the stepped washer visible?

PS. I'm excessively picky and this thing is so ugly and totally doesn't match my brushed nickel shower arm, arm extender, and rainfall showerhead, but I only paid $14 for chrome instead of $50 for the brushed nickel version. Not that it matters because the screw-in part sticking out is black and so obvious too, even uglier than the chrome. But I'll be thankful if it works.

Attachments

• vacuum breaker (1).jpg
    vacuum breaker (1).jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 6
  • vacuum breaker (2).jpg
    vacuum breaker (2).jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 4
  • vacuum breaker (3).jpg
    vacuum breaker (3).jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 4
If it is working, then the shower head might gurgle for a few minutes after a shower, while it drains.
And sometimes there is a bigger final purge of water, even up to half an hour later.
At least, that is how most hand showers with a vacuum breaker have behaved for me.

If it is working, then the shower head might gurgle for a few minutes after a shower, while it drains.
And sometimes there is a bigger final purge of water, even up to half an hour later.
At least, that is how most hand showers with a vacuum breaker have behaved for me.
Thank you, sounds like you're not concerned about the stepped washer not being visible after installation, which seems bizzare.

Back