Questions about installing handsfree faucet and soap dispenser in kitchen

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith5523

Reaction score
As title indicates I'm installing a motion detectable hands free faucet in my kitchen sink, along with a hands free soap dispenser to fill up one of the holes drilled in the granite. They're both battery and electric. My disposal is direct wired under the sink. Will code allow me to run an outlet from that direct wire junction box to plug these in? Or can I just connect them to the direct wire junction box? Or any suggestions appreciated. Thank you. -Keith

Usually the disposal is controlled by a wall switch. So the wire to the disposal wouldn’t have power unless the disposal is running.

Thank you. I thought the hot wire came in from somewhere else, and then was simply controlled by the switch. So the switch giveth and taketh. I hate that.

Any other easy way to get power under there?

Thank you again.

You might consider a Disposal Air Switch Kit.
View attachment 45986It is how to add an outlet and then just put your GD switch in ON position (there are hardware add-ons to hold a switch to prevent tampering)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkE...dels-Satin-Nickel-STS-OOSN-STS-OOSN/304076179
That looks like an outstanding idea. I'm simply trying to fill up the holes drilled into the granite and have ordered(and received) a glass rinser to go into that hole, which I'd never heard of before trying to figure out how to fill the holes. And while I don't even care for it, it looked like my only option to fill that hole. This will fill the hole and allow me to add an outlet to plug in the 2 hands free units. And it's $100 less than the glass rinser I'd purchased.

Is this a DIY that allows me to run an outlet from the junction box under the sink for the 2 hand free units, or do I have to turn the direct wired disposal into a plug in and use one of the plugs of this unit? I apologize for my ignorance, I'm just trying to make life easier for my wife.(and have to explain to every guest how to turn on the water and get the soap dispenser to work lol)

You might consider a Disposal Air Switch Kit.
View attachment 45986It is how to add an outlet and then just put your GD switch in ON position (there are hardware add-ons to hold a switch to prevent tampering)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkE...dels-Satin-Nickel-STS-OOSN-STS-OOSN/304076179
Another question please, although this solution of filling the hole creates another wiring problem? Have they improved the sink top instant hot water dispensers any? I've had two of those in my larger homes, while kids were still at home, but the under sink water heater's kept burning out every few years and the replacements weren't cheap. But that's something my wife would like, although that may not all be DIY

Thank you. I thought the hot wire came in from somewhere else, and then was simply controlled by the switch. So the switch giveth and taketh. I hate that.

Any other easy way to get power under there?

Thank you again.
I installed a surface mount duplex outlet and wire it into an existing circuit that you can tap into another nearby circuit preferably one that is GFI'd. My Moen MotionSense faucet has failed several times over the years and is now running in the manual mode until I find the time to replace it.

I installed a battery powered "touch turn on" kitchen faucet and plan on replacing with a conventional unit.
Dont remember the brand but it was not inexpensive.

I installed a surface mount duplex outlet and wire it into an existing circuit that you can tap into another nearby circuit preferably one that is GFI'd. My Moen MotionSense faucet has failed several times over the years and is now running in the manual mode until I find the time to replace it.
When you say surface mount, you just mean not recessed right? I can surface mount on the back wall of the underneath side of the cabinet? Thanks again

Latest posts

Back