Pvc cement/solvent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludington

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am doing a small job, replacing a small section of pvc, a couple elbows , and a couple bushings , a few feet of pipe.
Went to my pipe fitting storage area to check on my supplies so I can pick up , if I need something,
Checked my purple cleaner, lots of that left.
Check my solvent.. dried up as usual.
They need to sell small cans of this stuff ,
Is there any way to store this without it drying up, I've tried different ways, but nothing works. I think once that can is open , that's it.
9 bucks a can , just to do 3 or 4 joints just bugs the crap out of me.

You're singing my song. I buy new, glue and prime a few fittings, then the next time it's needed, one is dried up. Worse yet, I spilled about 30 drops of primer, on my professionally installed epoxy garage floor, wasting $3500. Yeah, I'm pissed!

You're singing my song. I buy new, glue and prime a few fittings, then the next time it's needed, one is dried up. Worse yet, I spilled about 30 drops of primer, on my professionally installed epoxy garage floor, wasting $3500. Yeah, I'm pissed!
That purple just don't blend.....

I am doing a small job, replacing a small section of pvc, a couple elbows , and a couple bushings , a few feet of pipe.
Went to my pipe fitting storage area to check on my supplies so I can pick up , if I need something,
Is there any way to store this without it drying up, I've tried different ways, but nothing works. I think once that can is open , that's it.
I suggest you try storing the can upside down.

Thanks for that clever trick. (storing upside down). I can see that working for the solvent. But the cans are made so cheaply that I would think the primer will leak up if upside down?

Tighten the can lid with channrlocks. But don’t crush the cap, do more turning than squeezing.

Dribble the blood of a rooster over the can lid and store in a cool dark place. 😐

Tighten the can lid with channrlocks. But don’t crush the cap, do more turning than squeezing.

Dribble the blood of a rooster over the can lid and store in a cool dark place. 😐
Can't believe I didn't think of that because when I buy them new, I always have to use channel lock plier to open them for the first time. I finaly finished the huge irrigation project from sub panel all the way to the nozzles so I went through 4 sets of solvent and primer. 700 feet of PVC for the irrigation zones, 120 feet of PVC just to supply water from the artesian well to the small pond, and all the big PVC for the new pump locations and re-direction of the well head source. I noticed at the professional irrigation supply place they sell giant cans of Christies PVC solvent and primer. All that digging is finally over. Probably saved 5 to 7,000 dollars. (the 120 feet of PVC I buried to supply the pond had to be dug under landscaping rocks so it was a lot of careful moving of the rocks, separating the dirt, and relocating the rocks back again). But long story short, I would have saved money if I bought the giant contractor cans of Christies PVC glue. It took me months though. The professionals would have been done in a week or two. LOL.

Last edited:
Can't believe I didn't think of that because when I buy them new, I always have to use channel lock plier to open them for the first time. I finaly finished the huge irrigation project from sub panel all the way to the nozzles so I went through 4 sets of solvent and primer. 700 feet of PVC for the irrigation zones, 120 feet of PVC just to supply water from the artesian well to the small pond, and all the big PVC for the new pump locations and re-direction of the well head source. I noticed at the professional irrigation supply place they sell giant cans of Christies PVC solvent and primer. All that digging is finally over. Probably saved 5 to 7,000 dollars. (the 120 feet of PVC I buried to supply the pond had to be dug under landscaping rocks so it was a lot of careful moving of the rocks, separating the dirt, and relocating the rocks back again). But long story short, I would have saved money if I bought the giant contractor cans of Christies PVC glue. It took me months though. The professionals would have been done in a week or two. LOL.
Yeah, a lot of people don’t think about the rooster blood.

Okay thanks. I think maybe what drips is just the primer that spilled on outside of can then. Guess I'll just tighten it up and try your trick thank you.
Go to Home Depot and get the can opener they made specifically for that. It will both open and tightly close the cans without crushing the can-top threads. It costs a few bucks (less than 10) but works great.

They used to sell primer that was not purple. I haven’t seen that in a while, but you can always use acetone as primer, then you don’t have to worry about that purple color nonsense.

But speaking of acetone once you are done with the project, you can add a little acetone to your PVC cement can to thin it out, and that will help it last a bit longer. It may not last a year, but it will last quite a bit longer once it’s thin.

They used to sell primer that was not purple. I haven’t seen that in a while, but you can always use acetone as primer, then you don’t have to worry about that purple color nonsense.

But speaking of acetone once you are done with the project, you can add a little acetone to your PVC cement can to thin it out, and that will help it last a bit longer. It may not last a year, but it will last quite a bit longer once it’s thin.
In many areas, the code requires a purple primer to verify inspectors' compliance with the fact that both cement and primer were used. Some parts of the country used to allow red, green, or purple colors. One-step cement/primer products are available that are rated for up to 6" diameter pipe, including one that is clear. That will not meet inspection requirements but will eliminate purple streaks.

In many areas, the code requires a purple primer to verify inspectors' compliance with the fact that both cement and primer were used. Some parts of the country used to allow red, green, or purple colors. One-step cement/primer products are available that are rated for up to 6" diameter pipe, including one that is clear. That will not meet inspection requirements but will eliminate purple streaks.
Well that explains it!

Back