Pre-fab shower kit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.I. Wire

Reaction score
I’m in the market for a new shower kit. What materials are most common in the construction of the average pre-fab shower kit? They look like plastic. Any recommendations? What are some precautions I need to take to safely demolish my old kit? It’s yellowing and I’m tired of looking at it. Thanks.

I have no idea what is behind the current shower. I intend on using backerboard for the new kit. I’m not sure what I’m going to find when I remove the pre-existing. Are all shower kits made of fiberglass? Is this going to yellow over time? What is your opinion on acrylic showers? Do they also contain fiberglass?

Personally, if you are going down to the studs, then applying a concrete backer board, for the same cost you could apply ceramic tile and it would last forever. A plastic or fiberglass shower kit is only as good as a manufacturer. The better, the less yellowing. Personally, I don't think either is subject to yellowing. I know the acrylic does not yellow, unless it is of sub quality.

I did a tile shower in my last homes master bath, looks more high end, but it'll be more costly as you'll need to factor in the cost of a shower base. Aker makes both single and multi piece shower units, they're acrylic. I used a one piece in my last home's second bath (new construction), and used a multi piece unit when redoing a bath in my present home. They look fine. I'm a retired carpenter, am able to do my own tiling/etc, but leave the plumbing to the experts. In the end, what's most important is that the product is done in a neat and professional manner.

you most likely have a plastic and fiberglass composite shower stall that is subject to yellowing over time

Acrylic does not yellow. Both are durable and low maintenance. There is something called reglazing that can be done but it’s durability and cost is something I don’t know about. Probably a professional service with toxic vapors

I have acrylic shower walls. They go over drywall and are waterproof but only a skin. I like the thought of seamless and low maintenance showers but if I were to do again I would do a quality solid surface or acrylic base and tiles walls. By far the best looking option IMO

As a former Real Estate person, my experience says you'll maximize eventual sale price with ceramic tile on the walls, or, a marble lookalike enclosure.
"You choose: Fast, Cheap, or Good, pick any two, all three, impossible."

Back