Plumbing to Stack Dryer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to stack my dryer on my washer to save space. I think I need to extend the gas over as shown. Is it easy to cut and thread pipe? Is this the best option or should I move the washer to the gas wall and use longer water and drain hoses? I don't have any 240V outlets to do an electric dryer fyi. Also, I was told not to Tee off the gas for the instant hot water, so that is a no-no I assume?
20240707_170411 (1).jpg20240707_170447 (1).jpg

Yes, it is easy to cut and thread pipe with the correct tools and knowledge. But if you have to ask that question, it would be my STRONG suggestion that you do not try to do this yourself. Screwing the pipe and fittings together is also easy, but there again, knowledge about the mechanics of the screwed joints and the use of proper pipe dope is something not well obtained by reading or watching videos. Slightly leaking joints, especially in enclosed walls and even an attic, can cause major damage should they find an ignition source.

And DO NOT try to use a "chain" of Flexible Gas Line Kits to do this. Natural gas and LP gas needs to be shown respect in the installation of the piping.

Yes, it is easy to cut and thread pipe with the correct tools and knowledge. But if you have to ask that question, it would be my STRONG suggestion that you do not try to do this yourself. Screwing the pipe and fittings together is also easy, but there again, knowledge about the mechanics of the screwed joints and the use of proper pipe dope is something not well obtained by reading or watching videos. Slightly leaking joints, especially in enclosed walls and even an attic, can cause major damage should they find an ignition source.

And DO NOT try to use a "chain" of Flexible Gas Line Kits to do this. Natural gas and LP gas needs to be shown respect in the installation of the piping.
Could he use something like this ? I know normally black pipe is used (that's how I piped mine) but this would make it a lot easier..
Maybe not this exact one, but similar.
https://www.amazon.com/Corrugated-S...4&psc=1&mcid=b805ba36875e3bda8c8cf6d6a736fe81

Could he use something like this ? I know normally black pipe is used (that's how I piped mine) but this would make it a lot easier..
Maybe not this exact one, but similar.
https://www.amazon.com/Corrugated-S...4&psc=1&mcid=b805ba36875e3bda8c8cf6d6a736fe81
If the local code allows CSST, it could be used provided it is installed properly, it is bonded, and that it isn't directly connected to the dryer. But like you said, that particular CSST states it is a Natural Gas Line Pipe Propane Conversion Kit Grill Hose, so I wouldn't suggest using that particular CSST. That CSST is made by Kinchoix which doesn't sound like an American company. For gas service, I would only use an American product.

However, I would still recommend this move be done using black pipe and done by someone with proper training/experience, and not a novice DIYer. WAY too much at stake here.

If the local code allows CSST, it could be used provided it is installed properly, it is bonded, and that it isn't directly connected to the dryer. But like you said, that particular CSST states it is a Natural Gas Line Pipe Propane Conversion Kit Grill Hose, so I wouldn't suggest using that particular CSST. That CSST is made by Kinchoix which doesn't sound like an American company. For gas service, I would only use an American product.

However, I would still recommend this move be done using black pipe and done by someone with proper training/experience, and not a novice DIYer. WAY too much at stake here.
I agree, cutting threads is not a normal diy thing. I know I wouldn't want to do it. I would presume there would be many leaks. You don't normally have to do that, there are all kinds of lengths available. My original install was just for my generator, it needed a high pressure line.. 2 psi. I guess that's high for gas. But I piped that, and it passed inspection. If I remember, I believe I pressurized it to 100 psi for them to check.
I expanded it after that to add a grill and stove. Had to add regulators for each one. It did surprise me that you could put a regulator inside without venting it outside. But, I have one and it's fine for many years now.

Back