Please judge my DIY main line repair plan! (It involves a blowww tooorrrch!!! :) )

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robot_pipes

Reaction score
Problem: Leak in water main.

Repair Plan:
Left End: There is currently a threaded female pvc fitting screwed (with glue) into a male threaded galvanized connector. I intend to melt off the pvc fitting with a blowtorch. I intend to reuse the galvanized threaded male connector, by screwing a new pvc fitting onto it.

Right End:
There is currently a section of pvc pipe at the extreme right end. I intend to cut this section and cement a new pvc fitting onto it.

Middle: Telecscoping pvc connector, and any required male->female pvc fittings.

Does this seem like a sound plan?
Please see attached images.

Attachments

• melt.jpg
    melt.jpg
    386.5 KB
  • pipe-repair-1280.jpg
    pipe-repair-1280.jpg
    665.1 KB
  • problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    4.1 MB
Last edited:
What size is the pipe, cut the pipe enough so you can remove the adapter from the fitting
There are drill bits out there that will drill the pipe out of the fitting, then reglue with a union in the middle and a new adapter

What size is the pipe, cut the pipe enough so you can remove the adapter from the fitting
There are drill bits out there that will drill the pipe out of the fitting, then reglue with a union in the middle and a new adapter
Thank you for replying!!!

The pipes and fittings are 1". I'm realizing that my picture is unclear. I have made a new picture. Please note that the metal part is inside of the pvc part. I *could* cut (instead of melt) the pvc adapter/nut off, but should I worry about damaging the threads on the metal pipe while cutting?

Attachments

• metal.jpg
    metal.jpg
    400 KB
Last edited:
Never put metal male threads into plastic female. Use a brass threaded coupling on the valve and a PVC male into the coupling.

Back