Outside faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limey

Reaction score
I have an outside faucet that developed a drip leak. I removed the body and fitted a new washer, but unforunately the valve seat has a chip. The valve body is hard up against the brickwork so I can't cut it out. Is it possible to 'sweat' it off with heat? Can I get another angled faucet with a solder ring already in the body?

If you have access to the line feeding the faucet it may be easier to cut the line and pull the the pipe and faucet out through the brick. Then solder a new faucet onto a piece of copper, push it through the brick and hook it back up.

John

Thanks John. I realized after I had posted that I could cut the sheetrock and as it would be inside the garage, not a big problem. Being originally from the old country where construction would be two nine inch brick walls with air space, my mind doesn't always remember the convenience of sheetrock !
I will probably go compression cos a the moment I am without flame. I would have had to buy one to do the sweating.

All though I don't recommend using them in inaccessible locations there is a fitting called a shark bite coupling that you just push onto the pipe to make your connection. If you ever decide to close it in then I would replace in with a soldered coupling.

John

Thanks John. I don't envisaged a lot of soldering in the near future, that's why I don't want to buy new equipment for two joints. I think that I have more faith in an olive and firm wrench than I have in the push-on fittings, but either way.... The access will be in an out of the way spot in the garage so I will probably just adhesive tape a removeable panel back in place for any necessary future access.

Back