Outdoor faucet not winterized, pipe split inside.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riley4

Reaction score
Hello,

I failed to remove a hose from my outdoor faucet and the pipe inside the house broke. The faucet is a woodford model 17. I have access to the broken area inside and can see the split which is about 2-3 inches in from the outside wall. It looks like the pipe from the outside connects to the inside copper lines through a threaded connection but I can't get this to loosen. The faucet mounted on the outside of the house is mounted on brick and the holes where the screws would secure the faucet to the house are filled in with a brick mortar type mix. So, I don't know how to remove the faucet assembly or disconnect the pipe from the water line inside the house. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

riley4

The threaded connection your looking at is acutely soldered. If you look closely you will see the copper goes inside the male threads. The faucet needs to be replaced ,there is no fixing it. Turn the water off and cut the copper behind the faucet. Once the copper is cut the old faucet will pull out. Put a coupling with a short piece of copper onto the copper connect it to the new faucet and solder the joints.

John

Thanks John. To remove the faucet on the outside of the house, where the screw holes are filled in with mortar, do I just dig through this to get to the screws? ONce I remove the screws mounting the faucet will the faucet pull out if the copper is cut on the inside? Thanks

Back