Newbie With Sink and Toilet Drain Vent Questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoe

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to plumbing and have some questions regarding my current project. I am currently adding an office area to my steel framed building that I had built 3 1/2 years ago. The building was roughed in for a sink and a toilet at time of construction. I have the office area framed up and am now ready to finish the plumbing for the toilet and sink drains. My question is what do I need to do for vents to make sure everything drains efficiently? I can run a vent up through the framed wall and out of the roof of the shop for the sink drain if need be but what needs to be done for the toilet drain? I live out in the country (not real concered about code) and have a lagoon.

Here is a picture of the rough in before concrete was poured.

5-20-20083.jpg

Here is a picture of inside the shop. The left side is where the sink drain is and the blue circle on the floor is the toilet drain.

DSC_1699.jpg

And here is what is outside the shop. I'm a little confused as to what was actually done here. Are these all cleanouts or something else?

DSC_1697.jpg

Any advice you guys can give me as to what I should do is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It's hard to tell. Try pouring water down the three lines you have inside one at a time. Then either remove the caps or dig up the three lines outside to see if each line exits the building separately. If the do you have a problem because that would tell me there is no vent on the toilet. As it is if the line for the sink is also the vent for the toilet it's to small. It looks to be 2" were it should be 3".

John

John,

Thanks for the reply. The sink line is a 3" line (the hole I cut in the bottom plate of the wall was 3 1/8"). When the weather clears up I will go out and pour water down each line to see if they each exit the building seperately. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do because the plumber that roughed it in is no longer around.

Thanks

Back