New Pressure tank question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KpR

Reaction score
Hi there.

I am planning on replacing our well pressure tank--currently we have a 22 gallon FlexLite FL7. Some numbers on our current setup are a 5.9 gallon drawdown volume and approximately a 2.2 gallon/minute well pump flow rate on a 1/2 hp pump and a 30/50 pressure switch. The pump runs for an avg of 2 min 40 seconds to fill the tank.

With 4 people in the house, the pump is frequently on for the duration when showering, doing dishes, watering the garden etc.

My questions are: does it make sense with these numbers to increase the size of the pressure tank?
If so, will increasing the pressure tank size do anything to our water pressure--either increase it or decrease it? Or does tank size only correlate to drawdown volume and how frequently the pump kicks on? (i.e. bigger tank=larger draw down, longer run time to fill, but fewer pump cycles on/off)

Thanks for the input.

I would sure suggest you look into a Cycle Stop Valve. It requires a pressure tank smaller than the existing one you have, it will reduce your pump cycles, it will provide you with constant pressure, and will save you electrical costs.

Valveman will be responding to this post I'm sure, to provide you with his expert advice. Listen to him please.

I would sure suggest you look into a Cycle Stop Valve. It requires a pressure tank smaller than the existing one you have, it will reduce your pump cycles, it will provide you with constant pressure, and will save you electrical costs.

Valveman will be responding to this post I'm sure, to provide you with his expert advice. Listen to him please.
I appreciate the response. I should add the edit that the pump does not cycle on and off during constant water use. For example, when the pump cycles on during a shower, it stays on for the duration of the shower, and only cycles off once the water is turned off. The same happens when using the hose, having a faucet on constantly etc.
I think the Cycle Stop Valve would help with the constant pressure, and possible electrical costs, but with the information above, it probably would not reduce pump cycles. Am I on the right track?

I would be very surprised if your well pump really matches the flow for each usage such that your pump doesn't cycle with 5.9 gallons of water in your pressure tank and a standard 50-30 psi pressure switch. But again, Valveman can direct your much better than I can on a CSV.

Thanks! If you really only have a 2.2 GPM pump, then that is why it doesn't cycle when you are using a 3 GPM shower or hose. It is also why the pressure is so low, the pump isn't large enough to handle the demand. Normally at least a 10 GPM pump is used, so there is plenty of water to keep the pressure up. Then a CSV can give strong constant pressure for multiple showers or hoses, and make it work down to 1 GPM when that is all that is needed.

Most people have to replace the pressure tank because the bladder is torn from the pump cycling on and off too much. But sounds like you are just wanting more pressure, which a larger tank will make worse. The larger the tank the longer the system is at low pressure before the pump comes on. Water comes from the pump, not the tank. If the pump is not large enough the pressure will always be low. It sounds like instead of a larger tank, you need a larger pump. Then the larger pump will cycle on and off continually if it doesn't have a Cycle Stop Valve.

Back