New floor heat install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalej

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of finishing a basement pex floor heat install. I have the five 250 foot loops in the concrete and ready for hookup in the service room. I'm installing a vertex 100 by AO Smith and will be using it for the home water heating.

I need info on what thermostat to use along with pumps and so forth. I'm using a single zone, just need info on when it's cool and need heat, how do I get the water running through the loops.

thanks

It sounds like you should call a radiant heating professional. There are many different ways to go about completing your system, some of which could cause you to drop the efficiency of the system and cost you a lot more to operate or even be dangerous to your health. Not trying to be rude but if you have not done much in the radiant field it is better to either work with someone who has or hire it out. Best of luck.

^^ agree, and also not trying to be rude but if you have 5, 250 foot loops then you are running with 5 zones. you need a pump and zone valves.

I live in a area of the USA that is not populated with quality pex heat in the floor plumbers, so was looking for a little help on a forum.

I might have joined a group of licenced plumbers folrum where I shouldn't be. Since I'm mostly a do-it-yourselfer.

Thanks anyway.

I am also just a DIY'er, but since I have no knowledge to help you, I'm hoping one of the experts here might add some valuable input for you.

I am a licenced plumber/gasfitter.

to my knowledge the vertex is a hot water tank intended for potable water and not designed to be used for in floor heating applications ( i may be wrong here ), which is the first problem if I am indeed correct here.

5, 250 foot loops means you have in essence 5 zones, you need either seperate pumps to controll these zones or zone valves that open on a call for heat for each zone. most of the in floor I do runs from tek-mar controlls that operate the system and are run on seperate zone valves operating on one circulating pump. this, simply is not a DIY job, if you are to do this then you must do research yourself and be comfortablle with and knowledgeablle enough ( again no offense inended ) to install this type of system.

heat loss must be calculated to even begin to properly install a system.

I appologise if this comes off as rude, but you wouldnt go onto web MD and ask a sergeon how to remove an appendix would you?

DaleJ- There are companies that will definitely assist you in your design it might just cost a little bit but you will more than make up for it doing the install yourself. Plain ole water heaters actually make a great source for radiant flooring because of the lower supply temps required. If you are going to be using it also for your potable water you need to decide if it is going to be an open or closed system. If it is going to be an open system you need to keep the temp high enough in the tank to kill the bacteria that will form in your heating loops when there is no demand for heat. Sizing the pump and what the temp of water to run to your system also depends on the BTU requirements of the room/s that you are heating, also what floor coverings will be installed carpet transfers less heat than tile or stamped concrete. Five loops connected to one manifold = one zone unless you have multiple thermostats in rooms that can be closed off from one another. Lots of different variables many more than I listed, I am not a plumbing engineer, I am a plumber who has installed radiant but has not designed a complete system himself just know enough about it that I could put together a system that would work but might not be the most efficient. Yes you could do it really simple: pump, manifold, thermostat with sensor installed in pour. But it is not going to be the most comfortable/efficient system and isn't that why you put radiant in in the first place? Google radiant floor consultation most companies just require a set of plans and you have already done the hard part of installing the tube putting everything together is the fun part. Seriously best of luck I admire anyone who tackles these kind of projects because there is nothing like sitting in your house nice and comfortable because of the work that you did. Let us know how it goes. Eric

Thanks Eric for the info. and commets. You sound like my kind of forum guy.

I had Nibco the maker of PEX tubing do a work up on our basement and they said in a phone call that just keep it simple and use the five loops in a single zone, in which I am. They make up a build sheet of all the componets that I need, but they like to sell stuff too. I need a circulation pump and a single zone control box a thermostat. I ordered a AO Smith GDHE-50-LP 50 Gallon - 100,000 BTU Vertex 100 Power Direct Vent water heater that will be a great source for hot water. It's made with extra outlet/inlets for hydronic heating.

I joined this forum for ideas and you have provided some, thanks! Like you I really enjoy the fruits of my labor; hiring someone to do what I can, is just not the way I enjoy it.

Back