Looking for a less-than-legal drainage solution....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuilderBabe

Reaction score
We have a weekend property and will be doing reno. We have a septic holding tank (cannot do field here). I have teenagers (think long showers) so in order to minimize the number of times per year I have to have the tank pumped, I'd like to divert the shower and maybe bathroom sink drain to a smaller holding tank (maybe a 10 or 15 gallon drum with a sump pump in it?) and pump that onto the flower garden (or lawn, if a sump pump has the guts to run a sprinkler). I'm sure this isn't legal, but frankly the lawn really needs the water, it would save me money on pumping fees, and I don't see how it would hurt anything so long as I buy the right shampoo and handsoap.

But this is only a seasonal property, so I don't actually want this to be a permanent diversion. We sometimes spend time there in late fall or early spring when it is cold enough to freeze outside, and wouldn't want that secondary system in use then, so I'm looking for some kind of gate valve or diverter valve that I could turn from the basement. What I'm picturing is something like what I use on my outside hoses at home, but for pvc and sturdy enough to last in a residential plumbing scenario.

Anybody got ideas? (Go ahead and tell me all the reasons this is frowned upon, too, if there are actual good reasons aside from simple illegality)

diverter valve 2.GIFdiverter Capture333.GIF

Back