Kohler Trend Diverter?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNAYLOR

Reaction score
First let me introduce myself and say thanks in advance for anyone's help. I have an old home (1959) and about 8 months ago I was having an issue with our shower diverter. I removed the diverter and replaced with a Danco 3 valve system. All parts seemed to match up visually but when installing the diverter I found it to bottom out before it was against the O-ring and also not be able to turn the valve. Almost like its up against the back of the seat already, I was in a bind at the time and it appeared to work just only in shower and not able to change to tub. I would like to properly correct my mistake now but have since lost the original valve and am at a loss. I have done some research and found another diverter that someone recommended when I stated the Danco system used, they said the diverter is wrong and to use a Kohler 30467 diverter instead, it appeared shorter so I thought maybe it would work. I ordered and installed but it is too short and leaks through the stem when fully opened to change direction of water. I'm now very confused as to what I am missing, is there a different diverter that is the correct one? Any help would be Greatly appreciated!!
I am attaching photos of the valve from the Danco system and the opening in the wall, you can see on the diverter how it is about 2-3 threads from contacting like it should. IMG_4041.jpgIMG_4042.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4043.jpg
    IMG_4043.jpg
    436.7 KB
Did your old diverter look exactly identical to the one you have pictured ?

Kohler made two diverters for that faucet and depending on when your faucet was made it’ll either take one or the other diverter but not both……

Yes it looked the same...but it was sometime ago. I'm just not sure why this one acts like it's too long. I know the original was a Kohler part and the one I installed was from Danco, unsure if that makes a difference. The top is the 30467, which I did purchase because it is shorter, but it is too short. Could it be a seat issue? I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help!

No chance it could be this diverter? I know it looks completely different. Just trying to understand the length difference Kohler 20868 cpkohler 20868 cp.jpg

If I can update I had an opening behind the assembly and found the stamped numbers of 21088 on one side and 15E on the other on the valve body? Does this help identify who the maker is?

I’d have to see the old part to know for sure. Or you could show me the other exterior parts to the faucet if they’re original parts that would help. If you could show me the hot or cold stem I could narrow it down to the two I posted pics of.

The numbers do not mean anything to me but it could to kohler possibly.

It could possibly be a seat problem but that wouldn’t cause some of the problem you’re describing. I can’t tell by the pictures.

I'm sorry I haven't posted the pics of the Hot or cold stem, I will post some this evening. They are not the original but work properly, I really appreciate your input and time! If I could ask, what would be a good replacement valve body if I have access to the back for removal?

Back