2" brass compression fittings are leaking, please help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rapidrob

Reaction score
My Water line repair while holding together is dripping on both 2" brass compression fittings. The compression sides are as tight as they will go.
The polly pipe underneath has the steel bushings installed. The polly pipe was cleaned before fitting.
How can I stop the dripping?
]leak z.jpg

i would turn off the water , then undo the compression nut and slide it back then wrap teflon tape around the compression sleeve several turns . then put back together and see if that helps .

I have had very good luck with SharkBite fittings. If it were mine, I'd be tempted to get A SharkBite coupling, and see if it would be long enough to remove your fittings, cut the threads off the Polly pipe, and slide the Shark bite coupling on both pipes.

I'm with Twowaxhack. I'd replace the whole service line with Schedule 40 or 80 or copper. Is that black poly what they always use out in the desert for service lines? I believe they are more likely to burst from pressure than PVC or copper. With the labor to dig, I don't understand why people would not want to use quality materials while you got it all dug the first time. I guess this is why I could never be a builder as most of my profit would go into quality materials.

Is the poly pipe IPS or CTS? The Ford fitting needs to be the same size ratio. They come in both sizes.

Is the poly pipe IPS or CTS? The Ford fitting needs to be the same size ratio. They come in both sizes.
I'm assuming it's polypipe. So only 100 PSI max? I'm not a plumber but isn't it only used for drainage? PVC is cheap and you get like 300 PSI from schedule 40? I guess people use Polypipe because it's flexible but if you need flexible there are PEX's. At least with PEX you would get 160 PSI but not sure what the diameter of the application that as needed.

See, this is the problem with using machines to dig. I swear that if people dug their service lines and lateral lines by hand which I prefer, you will think of using quality materials and will save you in the long run. I think when builders or people go fast and use machines, they are more tempted to use cheap materials because it was so fast and easy for them to dig. (but someone will have to pay for all of the overhead).

I have no experience with those repair couplings. I am certified (took the course but not a lot of field experience) in fusion for joints in PE pipe. that's polyethylene. I know polybutylene is discontinued, do you know which 'poly' you have.
If PE, then fusion weld is the true solution.
GReyonods929 may be on to something on o.d. issue between IPS or CTS?
like i said. no experience
I have had very good luck with SharkBite fittings. If it were mine, I'd be tempted to get A SharkBite coupling, and see if it would be long enough to remove your fittings, cut the threads off the Polly pipe, and slide the Shark bite coupling on both pipes.
Sharkbite or any push fit are not suitable underground.

I want to apologize for my ignorance. I was confused why they might use Poly pipe for service line but then I remembered that many deserts freeze in the ground overnight? So maybe they can't use PVC so don't listen to me as I'm very ignorant about environments outside of Florida. I'm on other irrigation forums and the guys up there told me why they can't use PVC (freezing). The ground freezes in the desert at night I think.

I dug the original hole by hand.
There is no one in Albuquerque who had any way to repair the pipe. The Schd 80 was the best way to go using the brass water service fittings due to the odd O.D of the Polly pipe.
I'll try the Teflon tape to increase the O.D of the gasket and see if the compression nut will squeeze the connection tighter.

Back