Is This Normal for Uponor PEX

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix Is Hot

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am wondering if what I noticed about my two year old pex pipes is normal. I noticed yellow discoloration spots at a pipe under a bathroom sink and totally yellow pipes in the 140 degree hot attic where the pipes run. I was told that these clear pipes are better than the red/blue ones but it appears they are breaking down relatively soon. The water pressure is 80 psi and my water company adds chlorine to the water. The hot water temperature is 120 and there is no recirculating pump. Thanks.FB395048-BB99-472A-BFAA-23698C013175.jpegBB7CF13B-C289-4B56-85B1-320969706E29.jpeg

Uponor says maximum temperature is 165 so you are close.. I've heard chlorine can impact these pipes. Get a big blue filter with a charcoal filter and that will eliminate the chlorine issue.

Thanks for the reply’s. I’m definitely planning on getting a filter for the chlorine. I’m surprised that a material so common could be so quickly be affected by something that’s in almost everyone’s water. Also I wonder if the temperature limit is for the water temperature in the pipes or if it also applies to the air temperature around the pipes?

Thanks for the reply’s. I’m definitely planning on getting a filter for the chlorine. I’m surprised that a material so common could be so quickly be affected by something that’s in almost everyone’s water. Also I wonder if the temperature limit is for the water temperature in the pipes or if it also applies to the air temperature around the pipes?
It isn't a proven fact only an assumption by seeing failures and what they have in common. I don't think where the temperature is matters. It'll heat the water to the same temperature if it isn't being constantly used. Do you have to worry about freezing? Either way I'd look at putting the line under the insulation.

Back