Is this a check valve?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bainboy76

Reaction score
Been having thermal expansion problems since the water company installed a new meter. Can someone tell me if this is a check valve (back flow preventer)?

401496_296446837064216_100000967061318_864099_216097359_n.jpg

It does appear to be a back flow device. Without seeing the rest of your plumbing system, it would be safe to assume that if you have thermal expansion problems that an expansion tank would be necessary. Be sure to pressurize the tank to equal the house pressure.

I don't think it's a backflow device as it would have test cocks on it. It looks like a plain old check valve to me. In any case as Caduceus says you do need a thermal expansion tank.

John

Ok, thanks guys. I already bought one and was going to install it, but wanted to make sure that was a check valve first. Yeah, water pressure is at 40 psi (I have a reducing valve under the house). I set the tank diaphragm at 40 psi too. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I called the water company and they told me that the new meter they installed has a back flow device made inside of it, but they told me it shouldn't be causing thermal expansion. I figured they wouldn't take responsibility for the problem. I installed the expansion tank 2 days ago and everything is back to normal, no more thermal expansion problems. I'm very happy my problem is fixed!

Last edited:
Back