Inside diameter of cast iron pipe is 3.75” what size toilet flange will work?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopDog

Reaction score
Oatey makes an adjustable flange that has an OD of 3.7”, do you think if I used a wire brush to scrape the pipe (with an ID of 3.75”) it would fit or is there a better way?

Attachments

• D447F3E4-0C0C-4463-A8E5-6268F9138A6F.jpeg
    D447F3E4-0C0C-4463-A8E5-6268F9138A6F.jpeg
    2.6 MB
This is what they call a 4 inch cast iron drain pipe. (The total OD). So this is very common. I highly recommend you use one of these.... Buy Toilet Repair Parts

Another helpful tip because there's usually nothing to screw the flange down into is I purchase at Home Depot or Lowes a tube of that really expensive epoxy construction adhesive (comes in the tubes you use a caulking gun in). It's 25 dollars a tube but this epoxy is like concrete so I just fill up all underneath the flange and since the inside of this flange compresses with screws... you are good to go!

Last edited:
The Oatey adjustable flange has an OD of 3.70 inches. On the Home Depot Q&A for that flange, Oatey said it wouldn’t work and they don’t have anything that would work!

This is on the ground floor, it is concrete. I wonder if this pipe was made in Mexico?

i just bought the house. I’m going to ask neighborhood Facebook group if anyone else had trouble with this but the Sioux Chief flange looks like it will work. Ordered one from Lowes, $6 cheaper than Ace Hardware. Gonna put a bead of caulking around the flange and floor… wonder why they don’t make a gasket? Seems like a plunger would cause it to backflow past the inner Sioux Chief gasket?

House also had asbestos floor tiles and black mastic tile residue but that’s another story. (I’m going to use expensive primer especially made for covering up black mastic and paint the floor. This is going to be a rental.)

The Oatey adjustable flange has an OD of 3.70 inches. On the Home Depot Q&A for that flange, Oatey said it wouldn’t work and they don’t have anything that would work!

This is on the ground floor, it is concrete. I wonder if this pipe was made in Mexico?

i just bought the house. I’m going to ask neighborhood Facebook group if anyone else had trouble with this but the Sioux Chief flange looks like it will work. Ordered one from Lowes, $6 cheaper than Ace Hardware. Gonna put a bead of caulking around the flange and floor… wonder why they don’t make a gasket? Seems like a plunger would cause it to backflow past the inner Sioux Chief gasket?

House also had asbestos floor tiles and black mastic tile residue but that’s another story. (I’m going to use expensive primer especially made for covering up black mastic and paint the floor. This is going to be a rental.)

Oh maybe I'm wrong? Sorry. I just looked this up and the outside diameter of barrel is 4.3? But if this is a standard 4 inch cast iron pipe, just buy this flange please and you are fine. https://www.grainger.com/product/41...VsEwmBUIuB_Png2TkCsaAhiFEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back