Leak Protection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob M

Reaction score
I have an electric water heater in a closet on my first floor that does not have a floor drain. I have a leak pan installed under the heater. Is the only option to prevent flooding in the case of a leak is to either put a sump pump in the pan and run a hose to a sink, or break open the slab and install a drain? Thank you.

I have an electric water heater in a closet on my first floor that does not have a floor drain. I have a leak pan installed under the heater. Is the only option to prevent flooding in the case of a leak is to either put a sump pump in the pan and run a hose to a sink, or break open the slab and install a drain? Thank you.
I assume that none of the closet walls are either an outside wall or a garage wall?

Rheem makes an electric heater that has leak detection with an automatic off valve. That’s an option.
I replaced two electric hot water heaters on the third floor of my previous house with two of these Rheem electric water heaters. One added bonus is that the models with this feature could be controlled with a WiFi app. The water heaters are in pans that drain to the house exterior, but I wanted the added feature of the water cutoff and alarm that came with the leak detection shutoff in case of a massive leak. My current home has a gas water heater, and it has a separate shutoff valve with leak detection in the incoming water line. These can be installed at any time. If your tank ruptures, you will still have damage with either option, but at least the incoming water will shut off once a leak is detected.

Thanks for that info. I am looking into a complete shutoff of water in case of leak but I still need to sort out a drain solution. In the mean time, I always shut off the water when I go on vacation. My only concern with auto water shutoffs is that it can lead to exposed electric heater elements as the water drains from a leaking tank. Fire hazard?? I turn off the electric to the heater when I shut off the water when going on vacation.

Back