House with septic and holding tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markzolotoy

Reaction score
I am looking at a house with both holding and septic tanks.

Per the sellers, the system has a holding tank that empties into a septic tank and that flows into the septic field through multiple fingers or drain.

I am not familiar with septic tanks at all, but other houses I have looked did not have both tanks. Is this something I should stay away from?

Thanks

Not enough info to give a useful answer.

Personally and professionally I believe city sewer and city water is the best way to go most of the time if it’s available.

I suggest having the system inspected by a qualified septic tank company that will open every tank and do a drain field test. Go with their recommendations.

That sounds backwards, in my area some homes don't have enough area for a drain field, so they have a septic tank and then a holding tank that has to be hauled away with a tank truck when it becomes full. We have a mound system, so there is a lift station with a pump after the septic tank. Before I would buy this property I would check and make sure the sewer system is compliant. In most area (I believe) a sewer system has to be inspected and confirmed compliant before it can be sold. This may just be a terminology issue, different areas, different dialects!

We had a similar system before switching to city sewer. The first tank allows biosolids to settle and the liquid portion to flow either over a baffle or through a filter to the second, dosing, tank. The dosing tank pumps a set amount into the drain field. The dosing tank in our case was set up as a “flood” system which would pump out about 1200 gallons at once into the drain field. According to the septic company we had come out the flood type system was used pretty regularly about 20yrs ago but has fallen out of use. Our drain field completely failed at 21yrs due to the way the system was set up by the original homeowners.

As others have mentioned if your drain field is above the septic system that could be the reason as well.

Not enough info to give a useful answer.

Personally and professionally I believe city sewer and city water is the best way to go most of the time if it’s available.

I suggest having the system inspected by a qualified septic tank company that will open every tank and do a drain field test. Go with their recommendations.
Well yes, but the reason most people are using wells and septic systems is city water and sewer isn't available!

Well yes, but the reason most people are using wells and septic systems is city water and sewer isn't available!
Most doesn’t apply to all so I brought it up.

Many homes have sewer available now but when the home was built it didn’t. Some jurisdictions will allow the home to use the septic until the septic fails and then will require connection to city sewer.

Back